• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

I might pick up a FREE BOAT - Mercury Hy-Ryder - Worth it???

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I've been messaging someone about what looks like an 80's Mercury Hy-Ryder boat. Looks like a 15' model with a trailer. They were trying to sell it but realized that it needed too much work so they're offering it to me for free.

The floorboards are rotten I was told but the overall hull is in good shape as it the trailer. I've got a bit of free time right now and I've done similar work like this. I've got half a mind to get it tomorrow and spend a week getting the floors back up and running.

I don't mind doing the woodwork, I've done a lot over the years and quite a bit in the last 12 months.

It's got a merc 500, but that's got to be an old outboard. There's a front electric trolling motor as well. I have no idea if these are working. I guess we'll find out.

YES, they have the title!

1622172898312.png
1622172921493.png
1622172930888.png
1622172961927.png

Last edited:

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I've got a lot of time for at least the next few weeks. I think I'm going to try to pick it up tomorrow and start the cleanup process and evaluation for what needs to be done.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Then again, you get what you pay for. I'm going to wait until it stops raining and go have a look. Make certain the transom is not rotten, etc.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
I have fool with several boats in my life. Owned 2, at different times. My first boat was a 1543 aluminum Duracraft. Grate little flat bottom boat. I had 3 different motors on it at different times. The motor on the boat your looking at is a Mercury 50. Thats a good little motor. Notice I say little. The 3ed motor I had in that Duracraft was a Mariner 45. It is the same motor as a Mercury 50. Parts will swap same everything. So I know these motors well. I added aluminum decks, steering, controls, ext. Made it into a bass boat more or less. Still I had a LOT less boat that whats in your pic. The reason that motor has that huge fin on it, is because the motor is way to small for the boat, and it has a hard time getting up on step. That size boat should have about a 90 to a 150 HP motor. 125 being about the rite size. So here is the plus. That motor with the controls is worth $1000 to 3000 if it runs. 2 stroke boat motors are very hard to kill. If you have the time, and want a project that you can make a few bucks on, get the boat. Make it a project that you and your boys can learn from. Once you sale the motor, then you can upgrade to a better boat. Here are pics of the 2 boats I used to have. Yes the bass boat was a very nice boat. Still smaller that what your looking at, and it had a Mercury 90 on it. 53 MPH.
29.jpg
19.jpg
7.JPG

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I have fool with several boats in my life. Owned 2, at different times. My first boat was a 1543 aluminum Duracraft. Grate little flat bottom boat. I had 3 different motors on it at different times. The motor on the boat your looking at is a Mercury 50. Thats a good little motor. Notice I say little. The 3ed motor I had in that Duracraft was a Mariner 45. It is the same motor as a Mercury 50. Parts will swap same everything. So I know these motors well. I added aluminum decks, steering, controls, ext. Made it into a bass boat more or less. Still I had a LOT less boat that whats in your pic. The reason that motor has that huge fin on it, is because the motor is way to small for the boat, and it has a hard time getting up on step. That size boat should have about a 90 to a 150 HP motor. 125 being about the rite size. So here is the plus. That motor with the controls is worth $1000 to 3000 if it runs. 2 stroke boat motors are very hard to kill. If you have the time, and want a project that you can make a few bucks on, get the boat. Make it a project that you and your boys can learn from. Once you sale the motor, then you can upgrade to a better boat. Here are pics of the 2 boats I used to have. Yes the bass boat was a very nice boat. Still smaller that what your looking at, and it had a Mercury 90 on it. 53 MPH.View attachment 9953View attachment 9954View attachment 9955
Great looking boats. My goal was a jon boat to take my boys out fishing in, and if the floors are good on this little boat, I could get it into the water cheaply without doing much work. I've been looking for marine treated plywoods and they're mega expensive right now. :-(

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
ONE SHEET of treated "marine" 3/4" plywood is nearly $70!!!! That's insane. I'd have to get two sheets if the whole floor was out, plus have to redo the stringers underneath. I have NO interest in having to redo a transom, so if that's bad it's not going to happen. With the costs involved, it makes sense to look for a $1000 boat with good floors, etc.

1622244289769.png

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
ok, I was wrong. There's another level of plywood and it's 2x more than just extreme weather treated plywood.

1622244582837.png

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Today is the only day that I can go out and see the boat but they're not available. I guess Ill wait until tuesday.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
You will get value out of the pressure treated wood, but it will not last anywhere near as long as the true marine plywood. They bake a laminate into the wood and pressurize it so it really holds up. Now, it doesn't hold up like fiberglass or a steel boat does, but it does hold up for decades. Just something to keep in mind. If you want a boat that you can just make work for 10 years, then just go with the cheaper stuff and know that it's not going to last.

Related Content You Might Like: