• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Shooting I got my dad's 1903 Springfield .30-06 with a low serial number. Doesn't fire, any thoughts?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Here's the .30-06 that I got, I took off the later addition of the 4x scope and clearly saw what I expected to see, it's a 1903 Springfield. The serial number is very low. I've been reading that anything below 80,000 is considered a single heat treated rifle, and it was early in WWI. This serial number is 22339, so that counts. Looking at the bolt and the markings, it's clear that this is a replacement bolt. Of course, I don't know who added it, not sure if it was returned to service with a new bolt or if it was sold and someone put this bolt into it. Also not sure who put the scope on it either.

In any case, it doesn't fire. I have taken apart the bolt but I don't see a firing / striking pin inside of it. Could it have been removed? That piece I can get online for like $10, or I can get a whole new bolt for about $85. Not sure I want to put a lot into this rifle unless I get back into Hunting.

Here's some pics.

Last edited:

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Looking it up on OldGuns.net it says this was made in 1903.

"The year of manufacture for serial number 22339 is 1903."

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
I used to be an avid collector of US rifles from WWI and WWII. I can't recall how many times I have read or been told that those low SN '03s were "unsafe and could blow up" , yet I've never actually heard of one actually doing so. Of course, it may have happened. Anyway, should you decide to shoot it, please use low pressure ammo just in case--something hand-loaded might be best.

If you took the bolt apart, the firing pin can't be missed as it is HUGE with a spring around it.

69FJ-2.4LTRTDIESEL

100 Posts
Carried one in boot camp. The second picture you posted shows the firing pin, the knob on end of bolt is the firing pin. The rifle was "Sporterized" Stock & butt plate was changed out too. The 06 still holds records today. From my memory (lol) the cogs on the bolt if installed wrong will not cycle the bolt & firing pin. The firing pin may have broken the tip off.
1587661246382.png

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Carried one in boot camp. The second picture you posted shows the firing pin, the knob on end of bolt is the firing pin. The rifle was "Sporterized" Stock & butt plate was changed out too. The 06 still holds records today. From my memory (lol) the cogs on the bolt if installed wrong will not cycle the bolt & firing pin. The firing pin may have broken the tip off. View attachment 9547
Yeah, i'm going to have it looked at by a gunsmith once I can find one open. Hopefully later this spring. Where did you get that information and the image of the stripped out components?

Knic

I would start the the firing pin. If you get a whole new bolt you'll need to check head spacing which would require head spacing gauges as well to make sure everything is in spec. I would start with the firing pin. Although you may want to check it since it's not the original.

As far as it being unsafe to shoot, it should be fin. Although with any sporterized surplus firearm I would be concerned who sporterized it and what they dead, meaning, I would just make sure where it wasdrilled and threaded was done right and in a good spot. I'd imagine since it was done it was shot several times and is fine to shoot. Although, you could have it inspected by a gun smith.

Related Content You Might Like: