• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Huge Tundra Mirror Blind Spots

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I keep almost hitting people when changing lanes. What's the best way to get better blind spot coverage?

Last edited:

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I've got a 2017 Tundra. 2018+ models have blind spot monitors and other technology. It's no joke, an entire car can be hidden out of sight.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
In the old days, there was a small round mirror that was convex so you could see what a normal flat morror would not see. You would just stick these onto the drivers and passengers side mirrors in the outer bottom corner. My 4 runner has , 1on each of the rear A pillers on the inside of the cab, so you can see if something is behind the truck. They may look a little tacky, but will give you a wide angle view. I think that is what they are called, wide angle view mirrors.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Agree with Kenny. I've used those for MANY years and still have some on the '83. As that Amazon ad says: "A MUST HAVE." Yep!

I think those may still be available at Wallymart.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Do you have the tow mirrors or standard ones on your Tundra? On my '14, I had the tow mirrors and remember it took a while to get them adjusted just the way I liked it. But then again, I'm used to driving big trucks and having to adjust all my mirrors to find the perfect fit.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Standard mirrors. I'll pick up a set today. Wonder what i need to add to get the blind spot sensors from an 18 (maybe they we're options on 17) added to my truck.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Sensors , and a reprogram of the BCM Im sure. Maybe one of the custom truck shops in your are can help with this. It would be worth a few phone calls.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Ive read there is a sensor in the rear bumper plus an update to at least one module. Not going to be a simple plug and play.

Charlie Whiskey

Went with $5 adjustable blind spot mirrors from O'Reilly auto parts. Already feel safer.

View attachment 8454 View attachment 8455 View attachment 8456
I can see by the way you have the mirror set that you enjoy seeing what is behind you rather than what is along side you. In that blind spot. Aim your mirrors down and toward the road in the lane to the left and right of the lane you are in. This is the best way to use these mirrors. Everything else that needs to be seen will require a slight head adjustment, but no more surprises in the blind spots.

Doug85332

yes head adjustment, just lean forward and look around, you can see the lane next to you, I didnt know I had a blind spot till I read this

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I've got bad arthritis in my neck already so have to find other ways to help that don't involve bending my neck much.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I can see by the way you have the mirror set that you enjoy seeing what is behind you rather than what is along side you. In that blind spot. Aim your mirrors down and toward the road in the lane to the left and right of the lane you are in. This is the best way to use these mirrors. Everything else that needs to be seen will require a slight head adjustment, but no more surprises in the blind spots.
So i adjusted the mirrors out a bit, there is still a blind spot but not as much.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I actually took your advice and tilted the mirrors out a bit. It does help but does not eliminate the blind spot, maybe I'll keep playing with this.

However, on this note, I was driving to work today when I saw these clip-on blind spot mirrors. Really is thinking outside of the box and adds an extra mirror without taking away any of the original mirror surface area.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Heck. If it's "as seen on TV" then it must be good. Right? After watching that video, I think I would pass, but to each his own--or whatever.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Heck. If it's "as seen on TV" then it must be good. Right? After watching that video, I think I would pass, but to each his own--or whatever.
Seemed to be wobbly a bit as the truck was going down the road, lol.

Related Content You Might Like: