• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

How do I adjust the carburetor on a 1987 Toyota pickup?

GearHead

100 Posts
So I recently acquired an older Toyota pickup with a 22R engine. I cannot seem to get the fuel:air mixture ratio right, no matter how far I turn the screw in either direction. Is there a default screw position?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Caburetor????? whats that? J/K
Been a while since I worked on one of those, dont quote me on this but I remember something about 3 turns back from bottomed out.
Your best bet is to find an online maintenance manual to get the correct gouge. There just arent many mechanics out there anymore that have retained the info for properly adjusting carburetors. If your looking for aftermarket and hotrod stuff theres a lot of info but factory settings, nobody remembers that stuff.

GearHead

100 Posts
Thanks so much. I ended up making the three turns and just adjusted slightly from there. I have it running much more smoothly as of now. I really appreciate the help.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
No thank you, I've forgotten so much auto knowledge over the years I'm glad to see when challenged I can come up with some answers.

Many years ago (1985) I had a supervisor in the Navy retire back home to Paradise, John Crane, everytime I see your location I remember him. I grew up in Sacto Ca. at the time I'd never heard of Paradise.

Last edited:

GearHead

100 Posts
I'm not really sure "Paradise" is an apt name for it, but it is a nice, quiet sort of town. There are a whole lot of old Toyota pickups around as there are a lot back roads and places to wheel. I like it up here as it isn't too far from Chico and has a decent local music scene, so that combined with all the fun outdoor stuff makes it a decent place for sure.

What part of Sacramento did you come from originally? I've done a fair amount of construction work down there.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Lived in North Highlands from 70 to 80
Georgetown Ca. from 80 to 82
Yerba Buena Island 83 to 86
And Walnut Creek 86 to 91
Still have brothers in Orangevale and Antelope (which was considered North Highlands back when he originally bought his house) and a Mother outlaw in Natomas.
I always liked Chico, I had a Navy Reservist that worked for me who lived there and one of my childhood friends lived there too, this was all back in the early 90's though. At that time it was a quiet little town, from my understanding it's all grown up now.

GearHead

100 Posts
Yeah, I just moved there but I guess it has changed a lot in the past decade-- there is a whole new section of town that used to be farmland on the East side of 99.

antonino

100 Posts
Great conversation. And to think it all started with the issue on how to
adjust the carburetor on a 1987 Toyota pickup!

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
You have great conversation. My neighbor use to have the same problem also I will tell him about 3 turns back from bottomed out.. Thanks..

Related Content You Might Like: