• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Horn Relay Location on 1997 Toyota T-100 Truck?

john505

Any of you T-100 guys out there tell me where to find the horn relay on this truck.

I'vlooked everywhere and i can not find it. I already looked under the hood in that fuse block and the one in the truck on the driver side fuse panel. All the fuses are good. Thats all i see. Do you guy know where its located on a 1997 T-100. Do you guys know where it is. Possable, on the steering wheel or under the dash by the firewall. I don't know. Need your help. thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Your horn relay might be located under the hood in the black box that also houses the fuses and relays for your whole car .. under the lid for this black box is the location for all the relays and fuses check it out and see if it has your horn relay in there

john505

Yea thanks, i checked all the fuses under the hood and in the truck, there is no horn relay anywhere listed, in those 2 places. I checked under the dash and all i found was the flasher relay and fuel pump relay. Don't know where the horn relay can be. Look all over the truck.

Your horn relay might be located under the hood in the black box that also houses the fuses and relays for your whole car .. under the lid for this black box is the location for all the relays and fuses check it out and see if it has your horn relay in there

john505

Yes i saw that online and in a book, the problem is i can not find the horn relay anywhere to change it out. The auto parts guy near my house also told me its under the hood and there isn't anything i can find. Any idea's are welcome. Im pulling out my hair with this one.

Here are some catalog lookups and they have some pretty good diagrams on here that will help you find it (and buy it if you need a replacement).

http://www.oemtoyotascionparts.com/.../horn-relay/86530-20070?search_str=horn+relay

Try this site, now they might not actually have this in stock, but this is what you are looking for.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
ok, what's the history of this truck to you? Did the horn used to work and now it does not? Or did it never work since you have owned it? -- I'm assuming that it's your truck.

If the truck is new to you, then maybe there is no horn? Could it be possible that someone put air-horns or something in and they removed it before you got it? Just a thought.

Most of the time the horn is up in the engine bay, it's possible that it's tucked away somewhere between the grill and the body ... so you might have to hunt a little bit harder to find it. Not sure I've had to ever swap out a horn before.

john505

Yes the horn always did work for the past 2 years i'v owned it. it just stopped working in last 2 weeks. it has only the horns it came with. No add ons. My auto parts guy said its in the engine compartment, but i can not find it anywhere. This is my second T-100 and never had a hron issue before. Today i checked the other relays and found most everything else but the horn relay. Any help on this issue is much needed-- thanks

ok, what's the history of this truck to you? Did the horn used to work and now it does not? Or did it never work since you have owned it? -- I'm assuming that it's your truck.

If the truck is new to you, then maybe there is no horn? Could it be possible that someone put air-horns or something in and they removed it before you got it? Just a thought.

Most of the time the horn is up in the engine bay, it's possible that it's tucked away somewhere between the grill and the body ... so you might have to hunt a little bit harder to find it. Not sure I've had to ever swap out a horn before.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
This is bizzare. It's showing on some Electrical Wiring Diagrams (EWD) that it's the same fuse at the hazards. Can you check to see if your hazards are working?

However, one some other EWDs it's showing something different and I think maybe if you have a power antenna (do you have a power antenna?) then it's a different fuse, but it's not clear.

FIRST: Check to see if your hazards are working or not?
--- If they are not, then check the FUSE for the hazards, which is in the fuse box under your hood, there is a 15-AMP "HAZ-HORN" fuse.
--- I found an image online that I have attached below.

--- If they are working, then keep going.

SECOND: If that fuse is fine, then all you know is that the horn is not working.
--- It could be that the contact spring on the back of the steering wheel not making a proper connection.
--- Carefully take a look at under the backside of the steering wheel, you should be able to short this and make the horn go. If nothing else, you can short it and maybe try to hear the relay clicking.

THIRD: No clue just yet where the relay is at. Anyone?

TOYOTA T100 UNDER HOOD FUSE BOX
IMG_5607.jpg
(Photo Credit Unknown)

TOYOTA T100 STEERING WHEEL DIAGRAM

(Photo Credit www.oemtoyotascionparts.com)

- - - Updated - - -

I sent a note into the guys at oemtoyotascionparts.com ... They are not paid vendors on this site, but I've heard they're decent sized in volume so maybe they know?

Also, try each of the fuses with a multimeter just in case ... I've had bad fuses before that didn't look blown but they were.

ToyotaTruckTrends

100 Posts
wow great information @toyofan thanks for posting the diagram..
[MENTION=2913]john505[/MENTION] did you find the relay base on the diagram provided?

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
@john505 ... I got some advice back from the guys that I wrote into, they have a different view on the whole subject.

Here is the first email I got from them. They have a network at work where they can't get on the internet.

The horn relay PT # 86530-20070 is located on the kick panel on the driver’s side of the vehicle. I just goggled this part number and found quite a few images of the relay to help identify it, I also see that there are a couple images that show the location on the fuse block.

Because I do not have the ability to link up with the thread, I am going to assume that all of the basics have been checked into first, making sure that no debris is packed into the horns, that the connections are good, and that the horns have been hot tested to make sure that they are working to begin with .

I hope this information is helpful, and I am happy to assist with these sorts of things when I can.

Regards,
David Harvey
Here's the second response I got from them:

I have attached a picture of exactly, where the horn relay is. I have also attached what is a more likely solution to the horn issue. There is a pin in the steering wheel that wears out and no longer makes contact. I have attached both pictures. There is a link below to purchase the pin. Let me know if you need anything else.

http://www.oemtoyotascionparts.com/oem-part/toyota/plate-horn-contact/8431212040

Thank You

Ryan Jensen
- - - Updated - - -

Here are the PDFs that were attached to the email from the last responder.

View attachment horn pin.pdf
View attachment horn relay postion.pdf

john505

horn

Hi all, sorry this so late, been busy- as far as the horn go's i did change out the relay. it was behind the fuse box and kick panel. It was a real pain in ass to get at. Also found 2 other problems with the horn. One was a broken wire in a wiring harness under the dask, and the other problem is the clock spring is no good. So the simple fix was to by pass the regular horn swith in the steering wheel. My brother in law and i put a push switch on the dash board, and it works just fine. That way the truck will pass inspection. Toyota wants alot of money for part and labor to fix the problem. Just way to much money for me. If the truck was newer maybe i'd spend the money, but not for 1997.

Last edited:

Related Content You Might Like: