• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

High beams not working

boostedboxer04

New to the forum and I'm having a hard time searching for posts that already cover this. So I figured that I'd post a new one. My wife has a 2005 Highlander v6 AWD and the high beams aren't bright like they are supposed to be. The indicator on the dash comes on, the fog lights go out, and the high beams/day time running lights come on. They just don't come on bright enough. It's like the day time running lights come on instead. At first I thought it was the bulbs themselves due to them being dual filament. So I replace both at the same time. It didn't change a thing. Could it be a switch, fuse or relay? Also, there is some burning/warping of the headlight housing directly in front of the high beam bulbs. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
One simple check is to check the headlight ground wire. I found this one the web:

"There is a wire, or wires, that come out of the headlight wire loom, which has a rounded metal terminal end. A machine screw, goes through the rounded metal terminal end, and fastens it to the metal sheet metal of the body. A lot of times, where this rounded metal terminal end is fastened to the sheet metal, or frame, rust can develop between them. Between the metal terminal end, and the sheet metal. This makes a bad contact for grounding."

This is a simple and easy check. Keep us posted.

Last edited:

boostedboxer04

One simple check is to check the headlight ground wire. I found this one the web:

"There is a wire, or wires, that come out of the headlight wire loom, which has a rounded metal terminal end. A machine screw, goes through the rounded metal terminal end, and fastens it to the metal sheet metal of the body. A lot of times, where this rounded metal terminal end is fastened to the sheet metal, or frame, rust can develop between them. Between the metal terminal end, and the sheet metal. This makes a bad contact for grounding."

This is a simple and easy check. Keep us posted.
Wouldn't a bad headlight ground make the entire headlight not work, instead of just the high beams?

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Wouldn't a bad headlight ground make the entire headlight not work, instead of just the high beams?
If ground was broke or bad then yes - they should not work. But from what I understand, if the ground is there but degraded due to corrosion and rust. High beams use more current & the ground isn't efficient enough for the high beams to shine 100%. Just something to keep in mind and a simple check.

Related Content You Might Like: