• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Help with Noise diagnosis

Schreck

TTC Chicks
I have a 2005 Sequoia with 149 miles. About two years ago on a cold day, not in 4wd, but hours after it made a horrible noise under the drivers and passenger feet. It sounded like a big chunk of ice was trapped and banging against the floor boards (visually inspect and there is no ice). It has continued to do this usually under the same conditions... cold and soon or a day after using the 4wd usually while on the freeway going 50-65 mph. It will eventually stop but it takes 3min or so. I have taken it in 3 times to diagnose, but they have no idea.

Anyone else have this issue or any ideas what to try to diagnose?

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
If I had to take a guess -- maybe the U-joints are going south. Or maybe a motor/transmission mount broken.

Schreck

TTC Chicks
I had it in the shop for a full inspection after it did it again this week in warm conditions and continued on for 5+ min even after reducing the speed. It was so loud, people on the sidewalk were staring at my car. U joints are all good, the only thing they could find wrong was play in the front axle. Would this make this kind of noise?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Can you get a video the next time it happens?

Does the noise correlate to engine speed or being in gear or in motion? Can you feel something banging, not just hear it but feel it?

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
My guess is that you have a problem with the transfer case. Perhaps the solenoid gets stuck in some sort of partially deployed position resulting in some interference with internal parts.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
My guess is that you have a problem with the transfer case. Perhaps the solenoid gets stuck in some sort of partially deployed position resulting in some interference with internal parts.
That's my guess as well. I came across this video.

Related Content You Might Like: