• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Hard start with incline

BlisterInTheSun

My 83 22r start right up with the nose down when parked overnight. If the nose is elevated above the bed overnight it takes a few tries to start it up. Starting/charging system is all new. Just rebuilt carb and ran new fuel lines with new fuel filter. Any ideas? I just hate looking dumb when my classic doesn't start right up

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I had an 81 short bed 2x4 and an 83 long bed 4x4 that both had the same problem, and this was when they were relatively new trucks, less than 4 yrs old.
With the 83 I had just gotten into off-roading and being in the middle of nowhere with a slow starting truck was a little concerning.
84/85 model trucks were out and these guys werent having this problem with the same basic engine.
A good friend of mine with an 81 finally showed me how he fixed his issue, he used an electric fuel pump with a switch.
The carb and fuel lines were draining down overnight, when the floats got so far down they would momentarily get stuck and sometimes cause flooding after the mechanical pump pulled enough fuel in to refill the system.
This is also a problem when climbing hills over a certain grade, the engine get fuel starved.
At one time there were a couple aftermarket mfgrs making improved carb floats for these engines that solved this problem, but many off-roaders solved the problem with elect fuel pumps that forced the fuel through on steep grades.
Unfortunately the fuel pump fix also cause a little stumble as the grade shallows out.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
If you switch to a electric fuel pump use a quality brand as there are lots of cheapo pumps out there. I use a Carter on my OT vehicle with a power toggle switch in cab however I would be using a mechanical pump if I could.

BlisterInTheSun

Installed the electric fuel pump and a kill switch:) works perfectly. Starts right up and fuel pressure doesn't drop down. Thanks for the quick responses:)
My next issue is a whining near the front of my motor like a pulley bearing is going out. I'm not sure if the air pump makes that sound on it's own or if it's something else. Just picked up a stethoscope to figure it out. If the sound is coming from the air pump is that normal? Also can I just delete the air pump? Is there a write up for this if it's possible? I've been told it was for emissions only.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
The smog pump shouldnt be whining, but with age Im sure its worn some.
It can be bypassed without suffering negative engine operations.
Unfortunately its been a long time since I deleted one so I dont remember all the proceedures.
First youll need to measure for a smaller belt, then block off the air pump recycle ports and vacuum ports.
Keep in mind if you have to let any smog nazi's under the hood they'll catch you right away.
Check the belt tensioner for your whining noise also.

BlisterInTheSun

I'm lucky enough to be smog exempt! I'll need to do some research about removing the air pump. Not sure if it messes with fuel trims. I got this crazy idea of bagging my little Mojave and apparently the air pump can be used in correlation with the air ride system. I'll get all my ducks in a row before I start ripping and tearing;P

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Older GM a/c compressors (late 60's early 70's) work the best, and will mount on your factory brackets.
The pancake style pumps the best CFM.
I use one as an air compressor on my 91 Toyota rockcrawler.

Related Content You Might Like: