• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Entune update 11/13/2018 - Dropping Pandora, Facebook Places

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Anyone else get an entune update today? Can't seem to tell any difference.

20181113_072913.jpg
20181113_073035.jpg

20181113_073126.jpg
20181113_073120.jpg
20181113_073129.jpg

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Just found the answer. Looks like a few apps dropped off.

Entune App Suite Update FAQs

"As technology and markets change, third-party application providers continuously evolve their products and services. On November 13, Pandora, OpenTable®, and Facebook Places will no longer be available in Entune® App Suite as these products and services will no longer be supported by the third-party application providers."

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
That's a lot of vehicles that have been affected.

2012-2019 4RUNNER
2013-2018 AVALON
2012-2017 CAMRY
2012-2019 COROLLA
2013-2019 HIGHLANDER
2013-2019 LAND CRUISER
2016-2017 MIRAI
2012-2019 PRIUS
2012-2019 PRIUS c
2012-2019 PRIUS PLUG-IN/PRIME
2012-2017 PRIUS v
2012-2018 RAV4
2012, 2014 RAV4 EV
2012-2019 SEQUOIA
2012-2017 SIENNA
2012-2019 TACOMA
2012-2019 TUNDRA
2013-2015 VENZA

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Entune really lacks features when you compare against other manufacturers products. Not even close.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Entune really lacks features when you compare against other manufacturers products. Not even close.
Amen to THAT! In comparison, Entune is seriously lacking in features that even Dodge has in its pickups. But, this is pretty typical for Toyota--their "entertainment" systems have consistently been about 5-10 years behind, even when new.

Will Noble

Really pathetic. Instead of adding app they remove them. I'm going to give them a piece of my mind on Twitter. I was home for TuneIn and Spotify integration. I won't hold my breath for Android Auto. Sad when you spend 50k on a truck and still need to replace the head unit due to obsolescence a year after purchase.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Really pathetic. Instead of adding app they remove them. I'm going to give them a piece of my mind on Twitter. I was home for TuneIn and Spotify integration. I won't hold my breath for Android Auto. Sad when you spend 50k on a truck and still need to replace the head unit due to obsolescence a year after purchase.
While my truck was in for service I got a 2019 Chevy Colorado with android auto and just a wonderful and very intuitive and easy to connect to system. Even to the point where options were 1-click to get something done, being able to mute turn-by-turn direction sound for a minute with a single button click instead of having to do about 5 clicks on a totally different menu system. It was fast, easy to understand and it just worked very easily.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
... as for Toyota integration with Android Auto. I didn't even bother to check because why wouldn't it integrate? Worldwide, Android is like 85% or greater of all smart phones. This makes no sense to me at all, why would they give up on 85% of the market to go after 15%. I don't own an iPhone and I don't plan on getting one.

According to the data, Android and iOS now account for a combined 99 percent of the worldwide smartphone operating system market. Android holds 86.2 percent of the market, up from 82.2 percent in the year-ago quarter. Combine that with the 12.9 percent iOS holds, and that's 99.1 percent of the entire market.Aug 18, 2016

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I won't copy this guy's whole article, you can find it here. Seems to have some good background information on the subject. Entune: Competing with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay by Chris Jagielski

Currently over 200 car models from almost every brand offer Android Auto and CarPlay – Mazda and Toyota have been avoiding such “trend.”

One of Toyota’s main concerns is privacy, which is why they want to use their own infotainment system. They’ll be able to control and regulate all the data, rather than share it with a third party. Entune 3.0 uses an open-source platform called Smart Device Link for third-party applications.

But let me be clear – the real issue is indeed Toyota deviating away from the norm on this one. Like I’ve stated time and time again – your phone is the new infotainment system, using CarPlay or Android Auto. We don’t need, or hell, even want any other system. Don’t make this more difficult than it has to be. Phone wars have always been between Android and Apple – don’t be BlackBerry.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Went to that link. Agree: "Don't be a Blackberry." That's truly funny.

Now that we have had our 2015 vehicles for awhile, I can honestly say that aside from listening to SiriusXM and pairing our phones, I simply don't use any of the other infotainment features. I mean nothing. Hate that NAV system. Grrrr. Not that I'm against technology--not at all--I just don't care for the interfaces at all. REALLY distracted driving.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Do you have the Entune, Entune plus, Entune plus premium? I think the premium (if that's what it's called) adds a map card which speeds things up. I'm not a huge fan of the nav system but it's not terrible. Seems to route though traffic decently. I did have it avoid a road once and find a route inside of 2 miles and now it's blocking all navigation through there, that's pretty useless actually.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
I'm willing to bet that both our 2015 vehicles only have basic Entune/Enform, as they are pretty simplistic and both function about the same with the same menus, once you get out of the main menu and into the individual systems. I've never downloaded the Entune app on my phone, so lots of stuff simply doesn't work--fine with me.

Related Content You Might Like: