• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Engine replacement for my baby

oldtoy

Hi all, the engine (3.0L v6) in my '88 4x4 finally died (it will still start but makes a real ugly banging sound, in addition to the fact that it has only run on 5 cylinders since the heater core sprung a leak and drained all the coolant into the cab on the freeway in the heat of a 117 degree summer day 10 years ago...). So I'm looking to replace it. Has anyone replaced the motor in a similar truck? What was your cost? What are the pitfalls? Should I use a new or re-manufactured motor? What are the questions I'm not asking but should be...????

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
I just have to say ... 10 years ago? That's really impressive that you ran it that long on only five cylinders.

What's your overall plan for the truck? Budget concerns? What else needs fixing?

oldtoy

At least 10 years ago... Gave me a whole new respect for the Toyota motor. When I decided it cost too much to repair I just figured I'd drive it until it died. It just kept going and going and going... I assume an exhaust valve went bad since it lost compression and blew unburned fuel thru the exhaust. I had to unplug the fuel injector to that cylinder to pass emissions tests. It would still be running if I hadn't given it to my teenager to drive without driving home the importance of keeping oil in it (it has leaked and burned a little oil since then too...).

Everything else on the truck works great. I don't want to spend a lot on it since it is a rust bucket now, but it is part of the family (I bought it new and have had it longer than my wife...) so if I can fix it at a reasonable cost the teenagers in the house will be happy!

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
yeah, that's an understatement that you should respect how well these toyota engines were made. What type of mpg were you getting, just curious on that as there's no real way that you burned more fuel than you saved by not repairing the engine ... well, over 10 years maybe. :)

Ahh, gave it to a teenager huh. Well, that happens, I'm sure I did some damage to my old man's vehicles back in the day from not taking care of them properly.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Having had more experience with the 3.0 than I care to, also taking in account the normal durability of that particular engine, I recomend you explore the option of replacing it with a later model (1996-2004) 3.4 engine.
I believe after you do some research youll find almost nobody wants to rebuild your 3.0 and replacement parts are hard to find.
The 3.4 is a direct bolt in replacement that offers 40 more hp and 40 more lbs of torque.
The 3.0 has a history of problems, Im surprised it lasted another 10yrs after the overheat problem.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I had considered a used engine for my 4runner from JDM...these are very low mileage engines complete at decent price IMO. I ended up repairing the engine (3L)but in hindsight a good used may have been a better option to repairing a tired high mileage engine. I sold the 4runner almost as soon as it was repaired(blow head gasket)For my current toyota i replaced the engine(spun bearing) with a rebuilt long block(22re)
Rebuilt long block would likely be best money spent.... but a low km engine with all the goodies attached is tough to pass up

used engines at this site
http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-02-TOYOT...Parts_Accessories&hash=item35d62c6305&vxp=mtr

oldtoy

yeah, that's an understatement that you should respect how well these toyota engines were made. What type of mpg were you getting, just curious on that as there's no real way that you burned more fuel than you saved by not repairing the engine ... well, over 10 years maybe. :)

Ahh, gave it to a teenager huh. Well, that happens, I'm sure I did some damage to my old man's vehicles back in the day from not taking care of them properly.
If I remember correctly, I was getting about 17-20 mpg before, 14-15 after. In the long run it probably would have cost less to fix, but I never imagined I'd get 10+ years out of it...

Related Content You Might Like: