• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Engine Rebuild Suggestions Needed

89xCab

I have 1989 xtra cab 4x4 manual with the 3.0 V6 and after only 2 weeks of owning this beauty the head gasket blew. This truck supposedly had a rebuild 100,000 miles ago and a head gasket replacement 10,000 miles ago, but here we are blowing a TON of smoke. I am looking to have the motor rebuilt, replace with a rebuilt motor, or maybe a remanufactured motor put in. Does anyone know of a good shop or guy that would do this work well that you can trust? I am in Washington State, in the Snoqualmie/North Bend area.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Knowing the 3.0 as I do I would personally recommend at sourcing either a 22r or maybe even a 3.4 to replace this engine.
The 3.0 has been a problematic engine with many head gasket issues.
Horsepower/tourque ratings between the 3.0 and 22r aren't that far apart, obviously the 3.0 is rated higher, but many owners like the trouble free 22r because it can rev much higher and take much more abuse.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Get it rebuilt locally with OEM parts. Online rebuilders prices are lower because they use inferior parts. I got a rebuilt 22RE,,, 10,000 miles later headgasket started leaking in 4! locations. "Poor man pay twice" as the saying goes

There is a reason head gasket kits vary from $25 to $300 for the 22RE
In your case I would opt for the 3.4.

Knowing the 3.0 as I do I would personally recommend at sourcing either a 22r or maybe even a 3.4 to replace this engine.
The 3.0 has been a problematic engine with many head gasket issues.
Horsepower/tourque ratings between the 3.0 and 22r aren't that far apart, obviously the 3.0 is rated higher, but many owners like the trouble free 22r because it can rev much higher and take much more abuse.
thats a great idea 22re but you will need a conversion kit for the trans to adapt 6 cyl trans to the 22r 4cyl north west off road sells them

Related Content You Might Like: