• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Does Ac Stop Leak Work? R134a Refrigerant.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Anyone have any experience with any of the R134a stop leak products? My mother in law's 2004 Chevy Malibu has a slight leak in the AC system, I mean it goes out over a period of maybe a year?

10629387_soo_stopa_pri_detl.jpg

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Yes, they work sometimes, if the leak isn't bad. A lot like most stop leaks. It works by expanding the seals slightly.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
She's driving maybe 1500 miles per year now so ill try one of these at some point when it starts you go low. Parts should be cheap on this vehicle so im willing to replace whatever if need be.

It would be nice if she didn't need to get another car again ever, considering she drives so little it's the perfect small car for her.

Last edited:

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Another question ... i just filled the system with r134a and its blowing cold, very cold. However, we know it's leaking slowly. Do i need to wait for the system to get low again before i fill?

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Yes, you will need to wate for the system to get low again, or take some freon out of the system. You don't want to over charge the system.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
just was curious if i should consider putting a little in at a time or if it doesn't work that way...like fix a flat where you must hit a certain level to plug it up.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
When you do add either r134a or the stop leak, add a little of the green leak detector - assuming it's not already in the stop leak can. That will help out down the road so you can zero in on exactly what is leaking. Plus since the car is not driven many miles per year, it's good to run the A/C once a month if possible to circulate the oil in the system which will keep the o-rings and seals lubricated and in good shape.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
So looks like I lost my last message. Here goes again.

I was thinking it's probably got to hit a critical mass where there's enough of the substance inside of it to actually seal anything off but I wasn't certain if it'll continue to roam around and try to plug bar for what I shall get pushed through.

Think about something like fix a flat if you don't put enough fix a flat in a tire, and yes I know all the damage to fix a flat can-do, but if you don't put enough fix a flat inside the damaged tire then it's not gonna do anything. I wonder what the minimum requirement is and what it will do to the over all life cycle of the AC components.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
When you do add either r134a or the stop leak, add a little of the green leak detector - assuming it's not already in the stop leak can. That will help out down the road so you can zero in on exactly what is leaking. Plus since the car is not driven many miles per year, it's good to run the A/C once a month if possible to circulate the oil in the system which will keep the o-rings and seals lubricated and in good shape.
That brings up another question, how much pressure is the system under? From what I remember when the original free on was taken out of the market, early nineties maybe? It was replaced with the newer stuff that was supposedly under a lot more pressure, that's how the additional Effect of Cooling could-be achieved, More pressure means more throughput cooler temperatures even though the molecular structure provides less cooling.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
When adding freon, most of the time, you would add a whole can. IMO it would be better to add that much or close to it. The amount of fluid that will expand the seals, sealing the leak is gauged by the can of freon. Will less work, maybe, its hard to say. I see the pic of the can you posted does have die in it, so you would be able to see a leak if the stop leak doesn't work. Also you don't want to keep adding stop leak to the system. What is important when adding freon, is to have the correct pressures at the ambient air temp. The only thing about 134a is that it takes a little while to get balanced in the system after you add it. There for when charging a system, it is best to add a little at a time. Let the freon circulate in the system, and keep an eye on the pressures. If it is still low then add a little more. Repeat until the pressures both low and high are within spec.

Related Content You Might Like: