• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Dies at start

hubcap78

2007 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7 90,000 miles. Every so often right after start, runs 2 or 3 seconds, then dies with no check engine light. Restart attempts, to infinity and same result, starts, dies. The good news, if you let it sit for 15 minutes or so, starts runs like perfect. Of course, this little hissy fit only occurs when you don't have an extra '15 minutes or so'. Early on maybe two years ago, I got a check engine light indicated a right bank air intake valve. I replaced it to no avail. Arg! anyone else with this malady?

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Your going to need a live date code read. It sounds like a security issue, but it will need to be IDed with a live data code read. A security issue, will not trigger a CEL.

hubcap78

Hi Kennythewelder, I had a certified Lexus Mech ( very highly qualified, trusted friend) do a tune up and specifically address the problem detailed Dec 17, above. He cleaned the, for lack of a better name, 'firewall plug' between eng and cab saying that those sometime corrode and can cause the problem. He said the other possible fix would be to change the ECM, 12 hour labor to get to it, and no guarantee it will fix it, I did not for that $1500 option. In the process he asked me if I had a spare key. I said I did, a Grey fobbbed one ( the normal every day key is 'black' fobbed, saying that if the problem occurred again, try the grey spare. So after 80 start/run cycles she failed, I immediately put in the spare grey, and presto stared right up, normal. And as stated above, when it fails, you try a restart ( with the black key) as many times as you wish with a 'no start' result. But with the 'spare key' (grey) procedure, starts right up. So why would you suppose that to be? Thanks very much for your time. PS I told him about the' live date code', did not seem to boil that into the 'fix receipe'.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Being it starts with the gray key, and not the black key, that sounds like a security system issue. Your key is not comunciting with the ECM. It may be worth the cost of a new key to find out for sure. As for the live data code read, thats what the dealer does. They have the tools that the average joe doesnt.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Im not 100 % on this, but there may be a way to test your old key. Your dealer, or a lock smith should be able to help. Some place like pop a lock, if you have one local.

i might be key issue try hard reset on cpu remove both battery term. and tape or wire them together for 24 hrs this will reset everything in cpu so it can relearn key and drive cycles

hubcap78

Update. I had my Local Toyota Dealer, parts guy, make me a new Key. He used a fobbed key (not 'Toyota Factory' with the little T logo) and 'cloned it'. He had enough confidence and past good results to recommend. I have since had 40 start/run cycles, with no failures and fingers are crossed.
Simultaneous to this I'm having (and have had for two years) a SAIS issue and have settled, on a solution offered by another forum contributor on Tundras.com using a standard automotive relay, a 4.7KQ resister, block off plates. If I were computer savvy enough I would forward his very clear cut instructions for your information and review, but alas, I'm not. If your curiosity does get the best of you. Go to TUNDRAS.COM and Jrpotts01 and read his thread. The beauty of his 'method' is cost, about $30. Until doing research on the Toyota SAIS, silly me thought I was the only one with the SAIS blues. WOW.
Thanks, This forum awesome.

Related Content You Might Like: