• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Crank Pulley Woes ~ 2001 Toyota Tacoma

mdd

Hi There
Brand new member
2001 Tacoma I purchased new with 175k miles approx.

Recently had water pump failure so took it to the shop I've had do work since warranty ran out.
They did the water pump and said I should do the timing belt at the same time.
I had done both just as preventive at around 100k miles
Anyway 2-3 days later I'm hearing a knocking sound that made me think it was a connecting rod. That's what it reminded me of.
I had a local mechanic peek under the hood and he said the crank shaft pulley was working it's way off and showed me how you could see the mis-alignment in the belt. Crap!
Had it towed back to original shop. They apologized, paid for the tow. and said they torqued it down proper.
So now , just 2 weeks later, just getting to the top of my driveway and battery light comes on!
Park it and lift the hood and I can see the crank pulley is sitting at angle and the belt for the alt and power steering is totally loose! Double crap!
Ok, tow it back to the shop. They haven't back to me yet but I'm worried now that whatever the pulley connection is is potentially damaged.
Or more is going on then I know about.
Any input here?
I expect a call pretty soon this morning but would be interested in any way more knowledgeable input then myself so I knew what to look for or ask about.
Thanks

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
I would ask if they are using lock tight. If yes, then what one. Blue, red,????. The only real way to know if there is any ware, would be to mic the shaft and pulley. This would be more inline with what an automotive machine shop does.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I would guess the crank pulley needs replaced. Crank pulley does not come loose unless damper is worn IMO

Related Content You Might Like: