• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Cold Start Worries

James

100 Posts
So it is -8 here in Pennsylvania. My 2000 Pickup has 120,000 miles and I bought it new. I used Mobil 5w30 synthetic. Recently, I started using 5w30 synthetic. Just this morning, I tried to start my truck and I heard a tick on the initial start before the oil started circulating.

What do you think is wrong? Should I be worried?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Short of a dry sump style oil pump there isnt a good way to pre lube before start up, temps that cold just arent good on the oil.

SUVFan

One thing I do to help protect a car in extreme cold temps is to try and place it in the garage. Also, buying a battery with the coldest cranking amps is a good idea. Consider using a battery blanket during the cold winter months - just remove them before starting. Use a lower viscosity oil (0 weight if you can find it for your vehicle). Make sure to change your oil regularly to prevent sludge which can be your enemy. You can also find engine block warmers if you live in an area of extreme temperatures.

gatorJ

James, just move to Florida and you won't have those problems. I am originally from Philadelphia. What part of Pennsylvania are you from?

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Ya ,,did the tick go away?? It's -35 C here this morning,,or what is commonly know 'round here as winter. Block heaters are standard equipment and I also have a battery tender running with the block heater. I use 5w30 in my 22RE during this season.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I grew up in Washington state and Idaho. My dad's company had him go into Montana once and they bought another company. Part of the buyout included paying off some workers ... One of whom planned to move South to get out of the cold Montana winters.

"How far south are you going to move? "

"See that cord sticking out of grille? I'm going to drive until someone asks me what that is. Then I'm far enough South. "

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

James

100 Posts
Ya ,,did the tick go away?? It's -35 C here this morning,,or what is commonly know 'round here as winter. Block heaters are standard equipment and I also have a battery tender running with the block heater. I use 5w30 in my 22RE during this season.
It is 11 degrees today and there is still a tick. I want to move to Texas. Any good jobs down there?

Related Content You Might Like: