• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Clutch problems

Bocaj

86 22r
W58 5 speed with 10 lb flywheel and centerforce2 clutch kit

Friday night my clutch stopped working in all forward gears and just made loud grinding noise when i tried reverse, and i found that the slave cylinder boot was full of fluid, so i replaced it, bled the master and slave cylinder to death and still have the same problem.
The slave pushes the fork about 3/4 of an inch and as far as i recall that's about as far as it ever has when it worked, so im hoping someone can give me some advice as to how to proceed or an idea of what might be the problem. It seems like the TO bearing is not disengaging the plate as though im not pressing the clutch pedal at all.
Thanks\
bocaJ

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Didnt bend anything in there did ya?
3/4" is roughly the TO travel, book could tell you the exact travel to a nats hair.
Reverse is a lower ratio so its sometimes possible to shift in without the clutch, sort of the method big rig drivers use to save wear and tear on their clutch's.
That flywheel is a little heavier than factory if I remember correctly, how long have you been running it? Not something recent I'm guessing.

1 bad tacoma

100 Posts
sounds to me that you need to replace the slave and start off with a new TO baring. when you do so make sure the clutch is ok and the flywheel but if it was me i would replace everything inside the bell houseing except for the clutch and flywheel

Bocaj

Thanks for the responses, but after i cracked it open i found the pilot bearing had disintegrated and had taken chunks of the disk with it. Shrapnel caught between the flywheel and disk kept it from disengaging.
New centerforce clutch kit is here, stock steel flywheel being turned tomorrow, hopefully ill have it all back together by sunday.
I was hoping i wouldent have to drop the tranny in the driveway but it was inevetable:(

PS: tbplus10 the stock flywheel is like 35lbs , the one i had in was actually a 9lb from lcengineering.com

Last edited:

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Thanks for the responses, but after i cracked it open i found the pilot bearing had disintegrated and had taken chunks of the disk with it. Shrapnel caught between the flywheel and disk kept it from disengaging.
New centerforce clutch kit is here, stock steel flywheel being turned tomorrow, hopefully ill have it all back together by sunday.
I was hoping i wouldent have to drop the tranny in the driveway but it was inevetable:(

PS: tbplus10 the stock flywheel is like 35lbs , the one i had in was actually a 9lb from lcengineering.com
Wow, that's too bad. Are you pushing oversized tires on your truck? Just curious as I've heard about this happening before but the guy had overburdenoned his powertrain by putting some crazy 35-inch mudders on there and eventually his clutch and tranny got wrecked.

GearHead

100 Posts
Yeah, I guess oversized wheels on that tiny little truck would certainly cause problems. Is there a way to remedy this for those who would like to install lifts and bigger wheels? Some sort of tranny modifications?

Lester

I was looking for info on clutch problems with new trucks, say ones that have been made in the past five years or so?

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts

Hi, any updates here? How did you get this figured out?

Related Content You Might Like: