• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Clunking Noise Mystery ~ 1986 Toyota Pickup Standard Bed

Ken O

I have a 1986 standard bed (converted to Custom Cab) 4wd, manual tranny and 346,000 miles. I'm the original owner, and this truck is still my daily driver.

It has developed a bad clunk (sometimes clunk-clunk) when hitting even small bumps. It clunks when the front wheels hit a crack in the road or a bump, but the sound seems to come from the middle to rear of the truck. It's a "heavy" sound and not a clink or rattle. The truck steers, brakes, corners, accelerates and stops just fine, so I can't feel any problem anywhere in the driving performance.

I've spent hours under the truck with drop light, hammer and big screwdriver hitting and prying everything metal that looks like it can take it. I've replaced all 4 shocks and the rear spring rear bushings with no relief. I can't find the clunk and I'm almost resigned to waiting until some big piece of metal falls out.

Has anyone had a clunk like this develop? Any hints as to what people have found or had to replace would be a big help. Thanks!

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
I have the same issue with my Chevy 1500 rite now. Like you, I have replaced, shocks, leaf spring bushings, new bearings in the rear end. I too have not been able to find the source. I am now leaning towards ether leaf spring bushings that are between each spring, or, body mount bushings.My chevy has 238000 miles. Like you, there are no other issues. I would.like to know what you find,,,if you find the problem.

Ken O

I have the same issue with my Chevy 1500 rite now. Like you, I have replaced, shocks, leaf spring bushings, new bearings in the rear end. I too have not been able to find the source. I am now leaning towards ether leaf spring bushings that are between each spring, or, body mount bushings.My chevy has 238000 miles. Like you, there are no other issues. I would.like to know what you find,,,if you find the problem.
I have a 1986 standard bed (converted to Custom Cab) 4wd, manual tranny and 346,000 miles. I'm the original owner, and this truck is still my daily driver.

It has developed a bad clunk (sometimes clunk-clunk) when hitting even small bumps. It clunks when the front wheels hit a crack in the road or a bump, but the sound seems to come from the middle to rear of the truck. It's a "heavy" sound and not a clink or rattle. The truck steers, brakes, corners, accelerates and stops just fine, so I can't feel any problem anywhere in the driving performance.

I've spent hours under the truck with drop light, hammer and big screwdriver hitting and prying everything metal that looks like it can take it. I've replaced all 4 shocks and the rear spring rear bushings with no relief. I can't find the clunk and I'm almost resigned to waiting until some big piece of metal falls out.

Has anyone had a clunk like this develop? Any hints as to what people have found or had to replace would be a big help. Thanks!
Let's see what wisdom people can share with us. Good luck!

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
I think my next step will be to jack up the rear so that the tires are off of the ground after I lower it on to jack stands, with enough room under the tires so I Can get a long pipe under the tires and shake the hell out of everything while my wife watches. Maybe I replicate hitting bumps

Ken O

I think my next step will be to jack up the rear so that the tires are off of the ground after I lower it on to jack stands, with enough room under the tires so I Can get a long pipe under the tires and shake the hell out of everything while my wife watches. Maybe I replicate hitting bumps
Let's see what wisdom people can share with us. Good luck!
I've even though of borrowing a GoPro camera, temporarily mounting it under the truck, and going for a ride on a rough road to see if I see something jumping around a lot.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
I like the Go Pro idea,,,but I don't have one,,,,I wonder if I can talk the wife into letting me tie her up ender there while I drive LOL. Well probably not,,,,but it is a thought

Den.

I had a similar problem. Although the truck rode fine and steered straight I eventually discovered that the idler arm bushings (plastic) were totally shot. I replaced the bushings only for under $6.

DSCN0171.JPG

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I had a similar problem. Although the truck rode fine and steered straight I eventually discovered that the idler arm bushings (plastic) were totally shot. I replaced the bushings only for under $6.

View attachment 5285
I didn't know you could replace just the bushing. I replaced idler arm, pitman arm and lower balljoints this summer.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
I found and fixed mine yesterday. It was the top shock mount. Where it is riveted to the frame, the top rivet broke, and one of the two bottom rivets was loose. I spent 3 hours under the truck yesterday welding the shock mount onto the frame of the truck. It was tough getting in there from underneath. I did this in my back yard. Well I have no more banging or squeaking.

Related Content You Might Like: