• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Checking Auto Transmission Fluid

ohiofarmer

Hi Guys,

I changed the tranny fluid on my truck and now I'm trying to refill it to the correct level. It seems like every manufacturer has a different way for you to correctly check the dipstick level. I know the temp needs to be up to operating level, and the truck needs to be on level ground. Do I need to have the truck running or stopped? Does it need to be in neutral or park? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

TruckStruck1

If you know the transmission fluid level then you don't worry about every manufacturer way to check correctly the dipstick level.

I guess the correct level of transmission fluid level can be seen also on owners manual.

Last edited:

ohiofarmer

The only thing the owners manual says is the capasity is 2.1 qts. I put in 2 qts and its not even showing on the dipstick. The onwers manual gives 5 pages on how to operate the radio, but doesn't even mention how to check the transmission fluid.

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
So the owners manual seems not giving you the information you need.. maybe you need to consult the service adviser to the dealership..

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
People come to sites like this so they don't have to go to the dealership.

What's the Year/Make/Model of your truck? Are you on a flat surface and are you checking it warm or cold?

ohiofarmer

The Correct way to check a T100 auto trans fluid

Ok guys, I finally broke down and visited the dealership and ask the service manager the correct procedure for checking the auto trans fluid. He went to the Toyota service website and here's what you do. #1) drive truck long enough to bring tranny fluid up to operating temp, #2) park on a level surface. #3) set parking brake and place shifter into nuetral. #4) with truck running check fluid and add until fluid shows to the top of the full "hot" level. The manual also states that fluid capasity is 2.1 quarts. The head mechanic at my local dealer said that is not correct. He figured its closer to 5 quarts. It took me a little less that 5 quarts to do the entire change.

ohiofarmer

Supposedly the one that came with the truck when it was new. To back up the 2.1 quart trans capasity I ask the service manager what his computer said, and he confirmed that his computer even said 2.1 quarts for a 1996 T100 4X4. That's when we went out and ask the mechanic and he said that can't possibly be right. It was closer to 5 quarts. I'm thinking someone at Toyota messed up and put the transfer case capasity in for the transmission capasity.

Related Content You Might Like: