• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Car Door Seal Repair On 4runner

awonderingdawn

TTC Chicks
So I'm not sure if it's because of the crazy temperatures in Alaska or just some weird happening, but yesterday the car door seal on my passenger side came loose and fell off as I opened the door. I've heard this is pretty common in Alaska, because the cold weather affects the glue. What glue is best to repair the seal? Can I just apply it myself and re-stick the seal to the door? Do I leave the door open or closed while it dries?

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
AFAIK, 3M makes/sells a specific glue/adhesive for door seals. I would check with your local parts store for availability. Be sure to ask if it can be ordered if not in stock. You might also try some auto body shops.

awonderingdawn

TTC Chicks
AFAIK, 3M makes/sells a specific glue/adhesive for door seals. I would check with your local parts store for availability. Be sure to ask if it can be ordered if not in stock. You might also try some auto body shops.
Thanks! I appreciate the input. I talked to my friend who's a mechanic over the weekend and he said he had some weatherproof glue that would work as well.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Wonder what it is about the cold that gives it a problem? I thought those were put on with something like spirit gum that was tacky but not a real glue so you can take it off if need be.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I agree with that
Looks like Popular Mechanics did an article on this a couple of years ago, they're suggesting cleaning it all really well and then applying some they call "weatherstripping adhesive" to the connection between the vehicle channel and the weatherstripping itself. Not sure that helps all that much as it still doesn't describe what that compound if, but nevertheless I'll link to the article and will pull some quotes from it as well.

How to Fix Your Car's Weatherstripping from Popular Mechanics
How to Fix Your Car's Weatherstripping
If water is coming through your windows, your weatherstripping may be toast. Here's how to tell if you car's weatherstripping has gone bad, and how to fix it.
Next, wipe the weatherstripping channel and the new seals with a gentle cleanser and towel them dry; they may still retain a bit of mold-release agent. Apply a very thin bead of weatherstripping adhesive (available at auto parts stores) to the channel and install the seal lightly at first. Be sure everything is properly aligned, then press the stripping firmly into place, ensuring good contact with the adhesive. Replace any screws and allow the adhesive to dry as directed. This should solve your whistles and wetness and prevent any undue carpet sogginess in the future.
This is the critical part of that ...

Apply a very thin bead of weatherstripping adhesive (available at auto parts stores) to the channel and install the seal lightly at first.

awonderingdawn

TTC Chicks
Ok, did some more research and this stuff looks like it's an adhesive that's somewhere between a glue and a sticky-tack product.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-08008-Black-Weatherstrip-Adhesive/dp/B00063X38M on Amazon.com.
Thanks for all the info ToyotaFan! I am not sure what about the cold causes it to be an issue- but I know that it is a pretty common problem here in Alaska. I know that almost anything, when put in temperatures below -20 F will freeze and crack though- including many 'non-solidifying glues'. I'll have to check out the weather strip adhesive you showed me. I'm going to see my friend who's a mechanic tomorrow, so they may have some insight as well. Should be interesting to see what they say, anyways.

Related Content You Might Like: