• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Camping Travel Trailers - What's the largest that a Tacoma can tow?

Samtucky

100 Posts

I have a Designer travel trailer to go camping in, but it's not as new or as big as in the picture shown here. However, just wondering what's the largest trailer that I should tow with a Tacoma is.

James

100 Posts
I love camping. Some of my friends pull trailers with a Toyota Tacoma. If you purchase a 2014 Tacoma you can pull that trailer with it.

DIY2013

For this size of trailer in the picture, I would go with a bigger truck like the Tundra personally.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah, that's a pipe dream! The 2013 Toyota Tacoma, with the FACTORY towing package, has a maximum towing capacity of 6400 lbs.

Technically, if you really wanted to you could tow more weight than that, but you have to think about the whole truck as a total system. SHOULD you do this is another question.

Think about the truck and all it's parts, how they all work together to make the truck work for you as a machine. The Engine, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension, ability to climb hills, ability to descend hills, proper traction, ability to handle the load you're towing, etc.

Let me look up that Trailer's specs, but that looks like it's easily 9,000 lbs or more.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Just did some reasearch on that trailer and as a 5th wheel trailer with basic specs for the Jayco Designer series of trailers ... I'm guessing that the Dry Weight of that trailer is about 9,000 lbs, so fully loaded you're going to be at least 10,500 lbs for a full 5th wheel trailer like that.

I'll bet a 2014 Tunrda Limited 2x4 would be able to handle that ... it's listed at 10,200 total towing capacity, but we all know that it's higher than that (but I'm not telling anyone to tow more than that of course!).
http://www.toyota.com/tundra/features.html#!/weights_capacities/8240/8252/8275/8276

Samtucky

100 Posts
What is the most affordable option for pulling my Designer? I know that is funny from a guy with a Designer. However I need to be practical.

Cali4rnr

100 Posts
How did u get that thing home in the first place? U got a bigass trailer and only now figuring out how to pull it? Genius!

Cali4rnr

100 Posts
Yeah "Sam" where is that damn picture!? Karen took time from her busy schedule of roping goats and milking bulls to make another important post!

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
You gonna pull your trailer out of the yard again Steve, finally, I don't remember hearing about any trips last year.

Related Content You Might Like: