• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Bucket seat swap.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
My sons Tacoma, had a bench seat. When we bought the truck a few months ago, we noticed that the drivers side seat had a dip, and didnt sit rite, so I took it out to look at it. All of the springs on the drivers side were broken, so I told Him then, that we would get a set of seats from pull a part. So we spent 4 hours there yesterday. The best set if seats we found was in a Kia Reo. Since the air bag light was on anyway, we will get some air bag simulators to plug into the wiring and turn off the light. As for fit, well, the only OE hole I was able to use, was the one for the seat belts. I had to drill 3 new holes in the floor, but that was easy enough, and I pot some very big flat washers for support, but all od that was east enough. On the front, I had to cut into the seat support bracket and bend the metal so I could drill holes there and bolt the front down. He will build a center console with a sub in it. Here are pics.
20201017_171837.jpg
20201017_171821.jpg
20201017_171810.jpg
20201017_171804.jpg
20201017_171744.jpg

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Really nice looking bucket seats. Congrats on the conversion! The bench seat in my '83 was total junk when I bought the truck. I bought buckets from a '94 4Runner, thinking they would be a good fit. Only had to drill two new holes for each seat, and one hole was a real mess to get bolted up. Anyway, the buckets fit in the cab OK, but getting into the truck was a contortion nightmare. Just no room between the seat & the steering wheel. The seats were too thick at the back, and also too tall. Once in, they felt good. Live & learn. Your conversion "looks" much better than mine was.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Really nice looking bucket seats. Congrats on the conversion! The bench seat in my '83 was total junk when I bought the truck. I bought buckets from a '94 4Runner, thinking they would be a good fit. Only had to drill two new holes for each seat, and one hole was a real mess to get bolted up. Anyway, the buckets fit in the cab OK, but getting into the truck was a contortion nightmare. Just no room between the seat & the steering wheel. The seats were too thick at the back, and also too tall. Once in, they felt good. Live & learn. Your conversion "looks" much better than mine was.
Thanks. I looked for the lowest set of seats I could find. The tracks on the Kia seats, are very flat. I knew the height once installed would be good, and it is very good. Also the seat tracks are very long. At 5'10, and 270# my big fat gut, hits the steering wheel long before I run out of FWD ADJ. Rear ADJ, the seat back hits the back window just as you run out of ADJ to the rear. My son took His friend for a ride last night, who is my size, and there is plenty of room for the passenger.

JB1025

I own a 93 Toyota p/u DLX with the 60/40 split bench was looking to put buckets in it also but do not want to have fitment problems i bought a car seat cover and it is shot after 2 year's found a better stock seat for $250 i may see if is still an option. Have looked at after market bucket seats but a little scared how they fit or if need mod's . Do know a guy who does this kind'a of work not sure he is still working may have retired as this was a few year's ago and he was up there in age. Damn life goes by way to fast.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
IDK, if there is a way to put buckets with out doing some mods. Maybe some 4 runner seats, but there are changes in the body styles in different years. 1 st gen, to 2 ed gen, to 3 ed gen, ECT. So you would need to look at a 4 runner in the same gen as your truck. Then if its that old, the seats would need to be recovered at least, and the raiser brackets may still be different, IDK. I will say this though. There was a much older ( mid 90s maybe) Tacoma a pull a part, and the trans tunnel was different than my sons 2010.

JB1025

IDK, if there is a way to put buckets with out doing some mods. Maybe some 4 runner seats, but there are changes in the body styles in different years. 1 st gen, to 2 ed gen, to 3 ed gen, ECT. So you would need to look at a 4 runner in the same gen as your truck. Then if its that old, the seats would need to be recovered at least, and the raiser brackets may still be different, IDK. I will say this though. There was a much older ( mid 90s maybe) Tacoma a pull a part, and the trans tunnel was different than my sons 2010.
Yes i agree a 4 Runner same vintage might be best bet !

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Perhaps by '93 Toyota may have pre-drilled holes for buckets OR a bench. May be worth a look underneath. Be advised that you really NEED to find buckets in perfect condition. I had to spend $800 to get those 4Runner buckets recovered before I installed them. That was after I paid $200 for the seats from a junkyard. Kenny's right--Going from a bench to buckets will surely involve some work. I completely re-did my interior when I put the buckets in--Dynamat, new carpet, console from the same 4Runner, etc. Plus LOTS of cleaning/scrubbing.

Related Content You Might Like: