• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Broken seat belt

crealsteel

Hi guys
Whoa...do I have a problem. My passenger side seat belt is now broken. It pulls out but does not retract. Of course the part is discontinued. I have tried multiple part shops on line. I called dealers & went so far as to contact Toyo headquarters to lodge a complaint (which got me nowhere). I find it irresponsible of them for a safety feature & lawful issue as far as "buckling up" to not be available or repairable. If one could be located at a junk yard...how safe & trusting would a 23 year old seat belt be until I hit something to find out ?
I can no longer carry a passenger & was thankful at least it was not the driver side belt. So....anyone have ANY ideas on a solution ? It's the SR5 with bucket seats. From what I have learned, it appears there where two different belts, one for the bench seat & another for the bucket seats which makes this even more problematic.

Thanks guys,
David C.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
No problem getting one from the junk yard as long as it looks ok, and pulls out and retracts good. These things work on a cintrifical force. As a load is pulled on the belt, it triggers a paul into a gear. The electrical connector is there as a warning in conjection with the seat sensor to trip a light or buzzer, or both. If you yank hard on the belt, it should lock up. Release the load and let the belt retract a little, and this releases the paul on the gear. As long as this is working, the belt will work in a crash. Seat belts do not have an age limit. And welcome to the forum.

crealsteel

Hi Ken
Someone from another forum says there is a repair shop in Mass. that specializes in this type repair. It's about $50 they Ebay & you send them the existing belt & they rebuild the gears & what not. I believe I will try that.
I have NOT found a used one from a junk yard. I was just speculating.
Thanks for getting back to me
David C.

69FJ-2.4LTRTDIESEL

100 Posts
what year and what color belt? Have you sprayed silicone lube into the bely actuator? I had a mud dober bee who decide to make his nest on my dump truck belt pass side. took it out cleared the mud and sprayed it with silicone spray, worked fine. One made his on the side of the carb blocking the vent, kept flooding out till i pulled it and found the nest,

Jcrusty

Those mechanisms are very reliable. I would pull the cover and check for a foreign object or lack of lubrication before any thing else. KISS

crealsteel

Hi guys
Something in the recoil is broken. It's not locked up...I can pull the belt all the way slack & it just lays there dead & limp.
I found one on Ebay last night & ordered it. The donor T-100 looked as if the rear axles snapped...but no front end damage so a good chance it operates. It is the same Tan color & the junk yard appears somewhat reputable. $40 plus postage "took it away" !!
Thanks, D

Related Content You Might Like: