• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Best Inexpensive Sound System Upgrade

mrproduxn

100 Posts
For those with the entune premium and are not satisfied with the sound from the factory head unit there is an inexpensive way to greatly improve the sound in the $200 price range.

The factory speakers are sub par. I like the features of the system but was extremely disappointed with the quality of the sound output. I have an access cab and really did not want to add a sub in an already space limited truck.

There were rave reviews about the Subaru Kicker tweeters that many had installed in the dash. They are plug and play and are less than a 30 minute install for a beginner. That alone would be a good improvement in clarity but still does not address the poor and muddy bass output of the factory door speakers.

After reading through hundreds of speaker reviews I started shopping for Kicker CS series 6 x 9 (3 way) front and 6.5 (coaxial) rear door speakers. I purchased all 6 speakers, door mount adapters and wire adapters needed for the doors and the Subi tweeters.

I installed the speakers back in July. I am still amazed at the improved clear and crisp sound that these speakers produce. I was fortunate and found my door speakers on clearance at bestbuy. I also had a $47 credit in ebay bucks for the tweeters. I can say that my system is so great now that there is no need for an amp or sub.

The installation was less than 1.5 hours for all 6 speakers. I now have crystal clear highs and knee knocking bass that really brought the head unit to life. There is a complete speaker installation guide video at oemaudio.com that is good for any brand of speakers. I did not require any sound deadening material.

Recently crutchfield has been offering buy one pair of Kickers and get the 2nd pair 1/2 price and they give you the door mount adapters and wiring adapters for free. If you make this change you will see that the head unit has great output and you will be shocked at how cheap the stock speakers are.

There is no way you could ever get this quality sound with the stock speakers. My new speakers have 450 watts peak for the 6 x 9 and 300 watts peak for the 6.5 and they have 100 to 150 watts rms.

This is hands down the best sound I ever had in over 40 vehicles considering I have no amp or sub. That includes a Bose stock system in my work commuter. And once you make this change you may need my radio knob grips for easier no-slip control of your slippery radio knobs (ebay Toyota Entune Premium-sorry just could not resist the plug).

Last edited by a moderator:

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Good tip.
Toyota has been having issues the last few years building good sound systems.
My wifes loaded 2015 RAV4 has an upgraded factory system that really doesn't have quality sound.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
The first thing I do when I buy a car or truck, is to replace the OE stereo (speakers included). I do admit, I haven't bought a brand new car, or truck sense 1990, but I have been through my share of used ones sense then.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
For those with the entune premium and are not satisfied with the sound from the factory head unit there is an inexpensive way to greatly improve the sound in the $200 price range. The factory speakers are sub par. I like the features of the system but was extremely disappointed with the quality of the sound output. I have an access cab and really did not want to add a sub in an already space limited truck. There were rave reviews about the Subaru Kicker tweeters that many had installed in the dash. They are plug and play and are less than a 30 minute install for a beginner. That alone would be a good improvement in clarity but still does not address the poor and muddy bass output of the factory door speakers. After reading through hundreds of speaker reviews I started shopping for Kicker CS series 6 x 9 (3 way) front and 6.5 (coaxial) rear door speakers. I purchased all 6 speakers, door mount adapters and wire adapters needed for the doors and the Subi tweeters. I installed the speakers back in July. I am still amazed at the improved clear and crisp sound that these speakers produce. I was fortunate and found my door speakers on clearance at bestbuy. I also had a $47 credit in ebay bucks for the tweeters. I can say that my system is so great now that there is no need for an amp or sub. The installation was less than 1.5 hours for all 6 speakers. I now have crystal clear highs and knee knocking bass that really brought the head unit to life. There is a complete speaker installation guide video at oemaudio.com that is good for any brand of speakers. I did not require any sound deadening material. Recently crutchfield has been offering buy one pair of Kickers and get the 2nd pair 1/2 price and they give you the door mount adapters and wiring adapters for free. If you make this change you will see that the head unit has great output and you will be shocked at how cheap the stock speakers are. There is no way you could ever get this quality sound with the stock speakers. My new speakers have 450 watts peak for the 6 x 9 and 300 watts peak for the 6.5 and they have 100 to 150 watts rms. This is hands down the best sound I ever had in over 40 vehicles considering I have no amp or sub. That includes a Bose stock system in my work commuter. And once you make this change you may need my radio knob grips for easier no-slip control of your slippery radio knobs (ebay Toyota Entune Premium-sorry just could not resist the plug).
Still happy with it?

BrandonBT100

One of the very first things I do when getting a new to me vehicle is mess with the sound system. Something I have had great luck with, is going to my local wreckers for head units. The last time I was their I picked up two great Kenwood and Clarion head units for 30$cdn for the pair. i'll admit this can be hit or miss though, so I periodically stop in to see what they have and even if I don't need a radio at that moment, I'll pick something up and hold on to it for a few months until I do.

Rusty Yota

One of the very first things I do when getting a new to me vehicle is mess with the sound system. Something I have had great luck with, is going to my local wreckers for head units. The last time I was their I picked up two great Kenwood and Clarion head units for 30$cdn for the pair. i'll admit this can be hit or miss though, so I periodically stop in to see what they have and even if I don't need a radio at that moment, I'll pick something up and hold on to it for a few months until I do.
My dad and i Built door-card speakers and it wasnt too expensive, with the speakers and material was only $500-$600 bucks

Related Content You Might Like: