• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Best Camper Shell / Topper / Canopy for Toyota Tundra

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
For those of you with a truck camper shell (which I grew up calling a Canopy in the west coast and those of you up north call a Topper) on your Toyota Tundra, what do you have and how do you like it?

SNUGTOP XTR XTR - Truck Cap | SNUGTOP

SNUGTOP SPORT HI-LINER

SNUGTOP SUPER SPORT

Century CROWN Series

Century High C Series

ARE Overland Truck Cap

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
I have had several. The shop foreman gave a Leer. Very nice camper top. Carpet lined, lights, ect, and the owner of the shop also has a Leer. The back window on mine was broken, so I sold it. The person who bought it put lexan on it for a window. The owner of our shop, broke his back window while cutting grass. It cost Him $900 to replace the window. Same price for mine, and thats why I sold it. The guy who bought mine, had a soft tonneau cover on his truck. I like that a lot. So easy to remove. His folded into 3 sections, and He put it in the bed, then we installed the camper top.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
I have also owned several shells (Leer, etc.), all bought new from dealers. All were made in the USA and I hate to say, but all suffered from obvious quality issues. Most leaked when it rained or were washed. The carpet lining fit terribly on one, back window fit was almost always an issue. Paint didn't match very well (no guarantee of that) and it faded quickly since I don't believe they were clear-coated after the color was sprayed on. Dealers in Denver were minimal help and tried to "fix" the problems with baling wire & bubble gum.

I haven't bought a new one since the late 1990s, so maybe quality has improved. They're getting very expensive, so look them over carefully before buying.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Never thought about how different people call things by different names based on geography.

I wonder if people out west use the term canopy because their ancestors came across the Oregon Trail. :D

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Never really cared for the truck caps, but I have seen a few that looked really sharp.

Related Content You Might Like: