• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Beefing up a FWD 2008 Base model Highlander suspension?

retrobeast

Hey all, happy end of covid hell summer to you.
So I bought a 2008 in March with only 49000k on it. Unfortunately I just found out left side front and back struts are bad which is causing lean. The SUV is from Galveston TX so I figure that salt air must have helped with the corrosion. The previous owners were an older couple.
A auto mechanic wants to charge me $2 grand to replace all 4 strut assembly's. I am mechanically inclined so thinking of doing myself.
The assembly should be easier than doing just the struts right?
So questions
-Who makes quality assembly's?
-Is it better to go with a stronger one that is made for a Sport or AWD model to give better handling?
-I would like to get a little more ground clearance too if there is a preferred one?
-Lastly should I go for heavier duty sway bar linkages to also improve handling?
Thank you in advance.
Retro

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
As far as using struts from a different model, Just go on Rock Auto first to see if the struts are the same, or have different part numbers. If different, THEN you need to know if they are compatible (I have NO clue) or not. If the numbers are the same, then there will be NO difference. Or, just buy a set of "Heavy Duty" struts from one of the good suppliers--like Bilstein--to avoid a potential painful install. Bilstein MAY have some adjustable (height) struts for your vehicle. You will likely need a spring compressor to do the struts (rent one?).

You should be able to easily buy some sway bar bushings and end link bushings made from stiff plastic--not hard as a rock-- rather than rubber to firm up the suspension in turns--usually an easy swap & also available from Rock Auto.

New tires that are known to provide better handling may be something to consider.

Please don't try to make your Highlander into some sort of off-road vehicle as it's not made for that. Get a 4Runner or Tacoma for off-roading. Be advised that raising the height of the Highlander (lifting it) will adversely affect the handling, sometimes in a really bad way. Going tits up is no fun.

retrobeast

As far as using struts from a different model, Just go on Rock Auto first to see if the struts are the same, or have different part numbers. If different, THEN you need to know if they are compatible (I have NO clue) or not. If the numbers are the same, then there will be NO difference. Or, just buy a set of "Heavy Duty" struts from one of the good suppliers--like Bilstein--to avoid a potential painful install. Bilstein MAY have some adjustable (height) struts for your vehicle. You will likely need a spring compressor to do the struts (rent one?).

You should be able to easily buy some sway bar bushings and end link bushings made from stiff plastic--not hard as a rock-- rather than rubber to firm up the suspension in turns--usually an easy swap & also available from Rock Auto.

New tires that are known to provide better handling may be something to consider.

Please don't try to make your Highlander into some sort of off-road vehicle as it's not made for that. Get a 4Runner or Tacoma for off-roading. Be advised that raising the height of the Highlander (lifting it) will adversely affect the handling, sometimes in a really bad way. Going tits up is no fun.
Thanks for the valuable info!
No off roading a highlandet for this guy. Just sold .y 87 4runner after 18yrs. I just want to improve the handling in the highlander since i need to replace struts. Only wanted to raise for towing purpose.
Tires are new so good on that. Thanks again i will check out rockauto.

Related Content You Might Like: