• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Ball joint issue?

paulmars

2 years after buying this truck new I noticed all 6 ball joints were leaking grease. Three trips to the dealer, several calls and letters to toyota USA all got me nowhere. So, i been keeping eye on them and trying to wiggle wheels side-side and top-bottom every 5 or so thousand miles. Everything still feels tight as of today.

Back in May 2020 I noticed tear in left steer tie rod boot. Replaced both boots in August 2020. I had to lift up the rubber ball joint boot so it would not get damaged with the removal tool. I didn't see any more grease come out as I did that. I cleaned off all the previously leaked grease before reassembly. I thought ball joint boots would lower back down, but after 600 miles they have not. Maybe because there might not be much grease in them. Pictures below. Both sides look same. As can be seen they have not leaked since August 2020 (600 miles ago).

Feb 2021 I noticed the upper ball joint rubber is degrading both sides. I have no pictures from years ago, but they too have been leaking all this time, but much less. Just the obvious degradation arrows is new. See pics.

this is 2wd 2.4L 5sp 2003 taco w/76.9k miles (not a typo). I'm looking to keep this vehicle running as long as possible. maybe even have it out live me. So, I've been considering this:

or

part of me thinks it's a great idea, and part of me is reminded of the many questionable things sold in the back of those old whitney catalogs.

one site he put some sealant over the hole left after wiping off excessive grease.

your thoughts?

tks,
p

Attachments

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
As long as the ball joints are tight, your ok to run them like that. Thing about a torn boot, eventually dirt, dust and grim will get in there and ware out the ball joint, but this takes time. Greasing them will help, and the video with the air filler needle is a decent idea. Only issue there is your making a new hole in there, and if the boot is already cracked, its weak so it may tare. If it was me, I would grease them about every 6 months. As for leaking grease, well thats because the rubber is torn and the grease has a way to escape. Again if it was me, I would keep an eye on them say every oil change, and check for looseness. I would run the ball joints until I find looseness then replace them. Replacement ball joints should have grease zerks on them. If not, then switch brands.

jimmyjim

yes, keep them well greased, but dont worry too much. dirt and grit have to get past the extruding grease to get into the joint. so dont keep wiping off the excess. my 85 toy hilux has had torn boots for decades, but the idler arm bushing with no boot is the part that wore out, not the tie rod ends, and not the drag link joints.

jimmyjim

and if it really bothers you, get some rubber electricians tape, (not vinyl) wash the boots off with rubbing alcohol or brake cleaner, dry and wrap them with the tape, then grease them. i am not aware of any place that sells new boots, and even if you get some you will have a heck of a time removing and replacing them because of the retaining rings that keep them in place.

2 years after buying this truck new I noticed all 6 ball joints were leaking grease. Three trips to the dealer, several calls and letters to toyota USA all got me nowhere. So, i been keeping eye on them and trying to wiggle wheels side-side and top-bottom every 5 or so thousand miles. Everything still feels tight as of today.

Back in May 2020 I noticed tear in left steer tie rod boot. Replaced both boots in August 2020. I had to lift up the rubber ball joint boot so it would not get damaged with the removal tool. I didn't see any more grease come out as I did that. I cleaned off all the previously leaked grease before reassembly. I thought ball joint boots would lower back down, but after 600 miles they have not. Maybe because there might not be much grease in them. Pictures below. Both sides look same. As can be seen they have not leaked since August 2020 (600 miles ago).

Feb 2021 I noticed the upper ball joint rubber is degrading both sides. I have no pictures from years ago, but they too have been leaking all this time, but much less. Just the obvious degradation arrows is new. See pics.

this is 2wd 2.4L 5sp 2003 taco w/76.9k miles (not a typo). I'm looking to keep this vehicle running as long as possible. maybe even have it out live me. So, I've been considering this:

or

part of me thinks it's a great idea, and part of me is reminded of the many questionable things sold in the back of those old whitney catalogs.

one site he put some sealant over the hole left after wiping off excessive grease.

your thoughts?

tks,
p
replace the factory ones with moog they have lifetime warrenty and are better quility and should solve the issue once and for all

Related Content You Might Like: