• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

AT tail shaft seal leak!! HELP

mialjam

I have 87 and 88 2wd trucks both have leaking rear tranny seals(automatics). I have replaced the seals and the drive shaft yokes. The dealer says tail shaft bushings are not available! Must buy the tail shaft housing! Anybody else run into this problem? There are replaceable bushings in the tail shaft!! They must be available somewhere!

cleaner199

When you get into older models, I have had issue getting parts, or at least smaller parts. Manufacturers tend to economize for parts on older models, only selling larger sets such as the whole tail shaft housing instead of just the bushings, because it doesn't make much economic sense to keep a bunch of smaller parts in stock.

One of the evils of repairing older vehicles.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Normally manufacturers wont run parts for anything older than 10 yrs unless the model is still current.
Toyota transmission parts were always hard to find even when the model was current.

tarheel

I second the transmission part. Even with 5 year old models (which I have), transmission parts are a pain. And aftermarket parts are so hit or miss..

danstpierre

100 Posts
Mostly, just like in any industry, three years is the life span of spare parts. Unless, that product or car, or truck model is so suceesful.

balihaisen

100 Posts
I'm sure there are always aftermarkets, and conversion kits, even if the model is not anymore current. A good modification shop can always find a way.

altavas

Yes, I did.. And sad to say, i also have to buy the tail shaft housing. A bit pricey, but better than buying a new car. I can't afford a total car replacement yet. LOL!

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
tail shaft bushings is hard to find especially for old trucks, Hi mialjam, any updates to your truck? How did you fix the issue so far?

Related Content You Might Like: