• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Another brake problem

Roderick West

hello all:
i've got a 1996 T100 2wd. My front brake pads are almost gone. I ordered a pair from Rockauto , and i can't get the caliper around them, they're too wide (yes the piston is pushed all the way in). So I ordered another pair from Advanced Auto.....guess what, same problem. Can anyone tell me wth is going on ??
Thanks

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
What part number are you ordering from rockauto?

How are you opening the caliper back up? Take a picture if you get a minute. Are the rotors factory spec? Clearly there's an issue somewhere because they should be a tight fit when new but it's just a question of rotors x pads x tension = good brakes.

Roderick West

hi, i can't take a pic because i had to put it back together with the old pads. I opened the caliper piston by the book; first by compressing it with a C clamp with the old pads on, then with the caliper off, i squeezed a little more out of it by using the brake pad to lay across it. The piston was as far back as it could go. The part # from Rockauto is PGD604C, the part # from Advance Auto is MkD604. It seems like I would need about another 1/16 of an inch or so to make it work. I'm wondering if there is some way to adjust where I bolt the caliper to

Roderick West

To put more perspective on the problem: when putting the caliper back on, every other vehicle i've encountered has a dust boot, and a nut that is somewhat adjustable ( or at least it moves ). This truck doesn't have that, it has a rectangular mounting nut, and the caliper has notches that stick out to line up with it. The fact that those notches stick out makes it that much harder to get the caliper back on, because they decrease the free play width, so I can't try to pivot the caliper while trying to get it back on. This is a sad situation, I might have the dealer do this. There must be a way to adjust that rectangular mounting nut.....that I can't possibly figure out

Tony TRD

hello all:
i've got a 1996 T100 2wd. My front brake pads are almost gone. I ordered a pair from Rockauto , and i can't get the caliper around them, they're too wide (yes the piston is pushed all the way in). So I ordered another pair from Advanced Auto.....guess what, same problem. Can anyone tell me wth is going on ??
Thanks
Did you disassemble, clean and lube the caliper slide pins, mounting points? Caliper slides must be pushed back all of the way in order for the caliper to fit. There is nothing wrong with the pads so you need to look at other items which can be causing the hang up on install.

Roderick West

Did you disassemble, clean and lube the caliper slide pins, mounting points? Caliper slides must be pushed back all of the way in order for the caliper to fit. There is nothing wrong with the pads so you need to look at other items which can be causing the hang up on install.
thanks for reading my post. The problem is that there isn't enough clearance. I can't clean anything to make this work. Somebody has to know how to adjust where I mount the caliper to. Nothing else can answer this....or I'm crazy.
I live in a very small town, I'm kinda afraid to take the truck locally.....thinking I'll have to go to the dealer unless someone can tell me what I'm missing

Tony TRD

thanks for reading my post. The problem is that there isn't enough clearance. I can't clean anything to make this work. Somebody has to know how to adjust where I mount the caliper to. Nothing else can answer this....or I'm crazy.
I live in a very small town, I'm kinda afraid to take the truck locally.....thinking I'll have to go to the dealer unless someone can tell me what I'm missing
Sorry to say that I have never seen a bolt that adjusts a brake caliper to allow to slide on it’s mounting bracket. I have seen square shoulder bolts, that need to be turned to allow the caliper to slide onto it’s mount smoothly, but they are not an adjustment bolt. Not to sound like a wise ass, but there is something simple you are not seeing to finish this job. May I suggest that you measure the new brake pad rotor opening in the caliper and then measure the thickness of your rotor. Compare the two measurements and that will ease your mind if you have the correct pads. Has to be something simple screwing you up on this job.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Seams like I remember having this issue a long time ago. Come to find out, you have to screw the caliper piston back into the caliper by turning it counter clock wise. What that was on I dont remember. I found that to be very strange at the time. May have been some sort of adjuster, I dont remember.

Roderick West

Sorry to say that I have never seen a bolt that adjusts a brake caliper to allow to slide on it’s mounting bracket. I have seen square shoulder bolts, that need to be turned to allow the caliper to slide onto it’s mount smoothly, but they are not an adjustment bolt. Not to sound like a wise ass, but there is something simple you are not seeing to finish this job. May I suggest that you measure the new brake pad rotor opening in the caliper and then measure the thickness of your rotor. Compare the two measurements and that will ease your mind if you have the correct pads. Has to be something simple screwing you up on this job.
I think you're talking about a different type of caliper, where there are pistons on both sides. This isn't like that, one big piston pushes against the pad on one side while pushing the opposite side of the caliper against the other pad. I know you and everybody is trying to help me, and I really do appreciate it. I think the T100 has become kinda rare....so not too many have run into this. When I solve this I will post the solution.

Roderick West

Seams like I remember having this issue a long time ago. Come to find out, you have to screw the caliper piston back into the caliper by turning it counter clock wise. What that was on I dont remember. I found that to be very strange at the time. May have been some sort of adjuster, I dont remember.
i had an Acura Integra that was like that. It had like an 'X' in the middle of the piston, that you could turn with a good pair of needle nose

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
yeah, part 2 would have been nice. From what i could see, his caliper did look similar to mine. You gotta love his jack stand though, lol, maybe he's doing part 2 when he gets out of rehab, haha
Funny but not funny.

plrod

I have a FSM for my 97 T , I'll take a look and see if I can shed some light. I've done mine before and didn't have an issue.

Related Content You Might Like: