• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

"Always ON" Power Outlet in a 05 Highlander

Dan Dula

Has anybody converted one of their power outlets in a 05 to "Always ON"?

I've done this in my other vehicles and now my wife wants to be able to charge her phone while she's not driving it. I have made mods so that I can bury the power cord for my GPS inside the left side panel under the dash and it really works well, reducing the power cords snaking around the steering wheel.

The power draw for a phone charger is so low that it has a negligible effect on the battery.
Dan

Last edited by a moderator:

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
No, but that's a good mod. Did you record the steps? How did you go about this?

I'd like to do something like this for my Tundra.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Seems to be a popular request.
I don't see why this shouldn't be an option, a lot of vehicles come with an always-on outlet, just so when you go into the store or something you can leave your phone out to charge while you run in with your keys. It can charge while you're in shopping ... or if someone wants to sit in your truck while you go it and they can keep their charge up while the ignition is not on. There's a ton of really good reasons why someone would want this type of function.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Has anybody converted one of their power outlets in a 05 to "Always ON"?

I've done this in my other vehicles and now my wife wants to be able to charge her phone while she's not driving it. I have made mods so that I can bury the power cord for my GPS inside the left side panel under the dash and it really works well, reducing the power cords snaking around the steering wheel.

The power draw for a phone charger is so low that it has a negligible effect on the battery.
Dan
Were you able to get this done?

Related Content You Might Like: