• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

97 Tacoma

Perchjerker

I just bought a 97 Ext cab 4x4 with only 38,000 miles on it. It has a 6 cyl, 4 spd auto. What kind of gas mileage has anyone been getting out of this set up?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Hey, a big welcome to Perchjerker from Nacogdoches! I just spent some time down in Athens, TX. Nice part of the country.

What type of mileage are you currently getting? Everything stock on it in terms of wheels/tires?

Perchjerker

I have stock wheels and stock size tires. I haven't burned a tank of gas yet, but it seems to be getting around 22 in both city and highway driving. I do use a lot of highway miles and use my cruise. I was just wondering on how to get the best mileage.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
That sounds about right. Obsiously to get the best mileage do the common stuff like watch your jackrabbit starts. Keep the tailgate up because it keeps pressure inside of the box. Etc.

Perchjerker

Here are the results so far: Starting mileage 39162 ending 39453. Used 14.05 gallons of fuel. Equals 20.7 mpg. That is 70% city and 30% highway. I am assuming I will get about 22 on the highway. Will find out today and post.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
You might have to do a good average over several tanks. That's what I do. Of course, if you put a tounnau cover or some type of lightweight camper shell on the back you'll get the best gas mileage. Open bed now I assume?

Perchjerker

Yes, open bed. Here are the results of my striaght highway mileage. Starting mileage was 39454, endend on 39600. 147 miles traveled. Used 5.805 gallons of fuel. Equals to 25.4 mpg. 95% highway miles.

That is a whole lot more than I expected to get.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah, well you're in a very well-built vehicle. By the way, that's great miles for a 1997 Tacoma. Where did you get that at?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
My 99 v6 5spd with 35" tires TRD Supercharger and 4.10 gears gets about 16 hwy, couldnt tell ya city cause it's my commuter truck and it's all hwy mileage to work.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
That's pretty good highway mileage for 35" tires and a supercharger.

bebtunes

100 Posts
I would like to know more about as well cause it sounds like he is going great on both city and highway miles with his truck and care for it

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
16 on the highway isn't all that good, but I guess it's pretty good for that type of setup. I guess the supercharger is needed to give enough power to push those bit meaty rubbers huh?

GearHead

100 Posts
35" tires on a commuter truck? Seems like overkill for that, but to each their own I suppose. I'm assuming it's a 4x4, you should take it out for a romp in the woods!

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Like I said, that truck is just getting worked in. good thread here, keep the updates coming.

GearHead

100 Posts
I guess what I meant was the truck is begging for more off-roading. Fuel economy on the highway shouldn't be too much of a concern here.

Related Content You Might Like: