• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

'94 T-100 Sr5 4x4 Front Rotor Replacement

aladeano

Hello! Me again with another question. The rotors need to possibly be replaced due to being warped. Is this something I can do myself over a weekend? I have some knowledge, but have never done anything as extensive as replacing front rotors on a 4x4. If its better that I hand it over to the professionals, how much (ball park) should I expect to pay?

Thanks.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
This is a job you could do with moderate mechanical ability, Google the subject and you should find a few instructional videos.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
After you research "doing it yourself" and if you still have a little doubt let a professional do it. I like doing as much as I can to all my vehicles but sometimes certain projects are a bit above my mechanical ability and/or I do not have all the specialty tools to do the job. When it comes to brakes you don't want to find out the hard way that something was done correctly.

aladeano

Well, I am not exactly sure if I will try to tackle it myself, or just have a professional do it. However, I appreciate your insight on this. I will do some more research into it and make my decision. I will let you know what I decided and how it all went. Thanks!

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I fully respect and support tibadoe's take on this, but would offer that if you possible have a friend with experience doing jobs of this type maybe he could look over your shoulder while doing the job.
I'm a huge supporter of those that are able and willing, learning how to repair there vehicles. If no one ever tried these type jobs we'd have no mechanics.
Three years ago I began an experiment where Due to my wifes nagging "to include the boy in things I was doing" I began taking my son in law that had no mechanical ability or aptitude to the shop with me when I was wrenching, this boy was all thumbs and really stupid obvious questions.
A year ago he felt he had enough experience in wrenching to tackle a large project on his own.
He's now in the final steps of finishing a ground up resto mod of a 63 Harley Panhead that is turning out so well he has 3 diehard Harley owners/collectors bidding on it.

aladeano

I am definitely a "do-it-yourself" sort of guy, and have tackled other issues on my own. My mechanic friend offered to help me replace the rotors. Cool! Now I just have to get the parts and find the time. About how long would it take do you think? A weekend? A week? Anyway, thanks again for the advice. I will keep you posted.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Set aside a day, provided you get lucky and don't run into unexpected problems it should only take a few hours for both sides.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
If you have a friend to oversee & help out - go for it! That trumps my earlier post. ;) Keep us posted on your progress and take some pictures throughout the process.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Any project that is "wheels-off" is in a slightly different category for safety. you need to be certain that you understand how dangerous a collapsed vehicle can be and get the proper lifts, blocks, chalks and jack stands.

Related Content You Might Like: