• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

93 auto stuck in high gear

scameron

Truck was running fine. Started not wanting to shift into high gear. Come up to a stop sign, check engine light comes on and it will barely move. Transmission never down shifted. Tried to pull the codes, but nothing happens when the jumper wire is plugged in. Check engine light does not flash. Figured shift solenoid was bad. Changed them and everything was good for around 50 miles. Started to exhibit the same issues of not wanting to shift into high gear. Started it one afternoon and while I was waiting for it warm up, the idle drops down fast and the check engine light comes on. Go to move it and the transmission is stuck in I’d say 3rd gear. Same situation, can’t pull the codes. Some research lead me to possibly the TPS. Changed it and nothing. I’m lost. Anyone have an idea? ECU maybe.

69FJ-2.4LTRTDIESEL

100 Posts
This is a mini truck or ? 4X4 ? Does the trans have mechanical linkage from a floor shifter ? If yes I would look into the linkage first to make sure it's all good down below @ the trans. Then I'd look at shifter mechanism under the console that it is free (no objects fallen in to block) and the electric switches on the shifter base. If the unit has cable linkage here is a PDF that might help . http://autoshop101.com/forms/h17.pdf If everything is in order then look into the ECU/TCU i would suggest. Hope this helps.

jimmyjim

never heard a good word about toyota truck automatic transmissions. dont even know why anyone would want one.
however, your problem sounds like an electrical one. you are not getting power to the shift solenoid. either a bad lead, or a bad switch. sometimes the wires can get brittle, and break inside the insulation. this happened to my ignition time leads. you might need to use a continuity reader to find that kind of intermittent problem.

scameron

Any chance this could be ECU related? Took the truck to a shop and they were unable to pull the codes also.

69FJ-2.4LTRTDIESEL

100 Posts
Anything is possible but a process of elimination would narrow down the choices. Something is telling the transmission to operate in a manner you did not initiate if it was sitting with you waiting for it to warm up. Is the truck still stuck in 3rd gear? Need a lot more information for members to help you figure it out, not just generic statements as to problems observed. Have you checked the wiring for shorts, checked the gounding points in the ECT/TCU wiring system, checked wiring that runs on top and on the side of the transmission going to solenoids/sensors, checked the fuse/relay center for shorts or water damage? Just so many variables, need more information. Type truck, year, type transmission, OEM equipment Y/N and modifications.

jimmyjim

could be a failed donut. the automatic 'clutch' may have failed. or if the trans fluid is low, or even if it was topped up with the wrong fluid. also what about the filter? does this tranny have bands?

scameron

Truck is a 1993. 22re, A340F, 4wd, completely stock with 149k miles. I have not traced down and checked all the wiring. Plan to do this in a few days. Ok, my observations, before it stuck in gear the first time, the shift to 3rd was delayed. It wouldn’t shift right away, but it would. Getting off the interstate one evening, it wouldn’t downshift; stayed in third gear and check engine light came on. Figured it was the shift solenoids. Changed them, the screen, and fluid. Start it up and everything is good. It’s shifting way better. Then 50 miles in it starts delaying the shift again. Then sitting in the driveway warming up, idle drops and the CEL comes on. Go to move it and it’s stuck in 3rd gear. It won’t let you check the codes.

jimmyjim

so i am at the end of what i know about it then. before this happened, were you running in 4wd or was that disengaged. because you can shift back and forth, right? just wondering if that could affect it. but since it shifted gears on its own, a short in the wireing does seem likely. hope you can get it figured out. keep us posted.

69FJ-2.4LTRTDIESEL

100 Posts
Just did a search on ECU's for the 1993 22re AT on Ebay. If you look up by the part# on the original unit average is around $100. If all the wiring checks out you can bite the bullet & buy one. I still don't understand what you meant by the statement "It won't let you check the codes". If you have a good repair shop that has a "Sun Engine Analyzer" you can have them check teh system. The unit will retrieve the history on board the ECU and also show in real time what is happening within the control system. The hand held readers do not go into this amount of detail and most can't afford the $1500 for the unit. Just a thought, goof luck. Computers are the downfall of mankind IMHO .

scameron

The transmission shop put a reader on it and couldn’t pull the codes. Honestly I don’t know what they used. Manually pulling the codes with a jumper wire doesn’t work. The CEL doesn’t flash when the jumper is used. Part number for the ECU is 89661-35840.

69FJ-2.4LTRTDIESEL

100 Posts
Some test information. I know not the same trans but the info is helpful on solenoids.

Related Content You Might Like: