• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

'91 Pickup Towing Capacity

gene

I've been digesting my owners manual, and I see that the standard towing capacity with a 22RE engine and A43D automatic trans is 2000 pounds. But, if I understand this correctly, it could be increased by the dealer installing a "towing package".

My question is, is it possible to replicate this towing package?

I'm assuming it probably included heavy duty shocks, perhaps heavier duty rear springs?

Of course it could be argued that 2000 pounds is more than enough for this little 4-banger.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
The rear end gearing will also play a roll in what the truck can tow. EG 410 gears will pull better than say 308s

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
You also have to consider how much weight you may have in box. The springs on these older Toyotas have always sagged under minimal weight.

gene

Jazz, I think your right. I guess it would help to get some air springs, or something similar

You also have to consider how much weight you may have in box. The springs on these older Toyota's have always sagged under minimal weight.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Yea I'm a big fan of Roadmaster Active Suspension, I have it on my 2011 Silverado and my lifted 99 Tacoma.
It does a great job of keeping the suspension level with no rear sag when you have a load in the bed or trailer hooked up.
I have pictures somewhere on here with both trucks loaded down with a cord of wood each and no sag in the rear.

gene

The Roadmaster suspension does seem nice. However, I wonder how it stacks up to the airbag system, which you can inflate/deflate to match the load? and what is the cost of both?

I'll have to do a little research I think about the airbags. However, since you two have the Roadmaster, how much did it cost? (Without professional installation.)

I always liked the Roadmaster Active Suspension -- Easy to install and no major tools needed.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Air bag systems have pros and cons.

Pros include being able to adjust ride height and stiffness, especially when not towing to give a softer ride, plus you can balance left vs right too.

Cons include stuff like air leaks, holes, significantly increased install time, plus you have to maintain a minimum air pressure too.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Roadmaster doesn't take a professional installer, it can be installed in the driveway in under an hour with a Jack, lug wrench, and a couple box end wrench's (don't remember specific sizes).
The diferences are the Roadmaster not only maintains the same ride quality as factory, it does this loaded or unloaded. It also works as a traction control device much like old style ladder bars or slapper bars.
Air bags take a higher degree of mechanical knowledge and longer install time (i've done both installs). Airbags also stiffen the suspension and make it firmer when under pressure.
I'll admit I was a total airbag enthusiast until I tried the Roadmaster system, since then I've converted some vehicles from airbags to the Roadmaster system.

Adam6969

These trucks can tow WAY more then then what they are rated and there is 2 critical reasons why.

Full military wraps on the frame side and half wraps on the shackle. As a mechanic I've only seen logging trucks and heavy equipment have this. If your primary leaf breaks from the load, you have time to save it and limp home. This is the only reason I still run toyota springs on my rig.

The torsion bars are on the top of the frame and run through both sides of the a arms. Again this is something I've only ever seen on heavy equipment. Toyota ifs is one of the strongest ever built, I've yet to break mine or damage it in anyway. The truck gets jumped all the time and slammed over medians when I want to skip the light.

Here's an example of a recent load I hooked up to. Btw I built my own receiver hitch, it's made out of 3/8 plate and 1/4 tube/angle.

I pulled a 8.5x16ft twin axle mobile home trailer weighing about 9k. The trailer had no brakes and I was able to get the suspension off the bump stops with a weight distribution hitch and throwing all my tools and some cinder blocks behind the trailer axles.

It had more then enough brakes, it wasn't even scary. I could get up to 50mph on the flats, and starting on the hills in Seattle I didn't have to be in low range but I did just to save the clutch alittle. In low range it barely felt the trailer. I had to pull over and take it out of low because I was holding traffic up. On the really steep hills I couldn't get out of 2nd and would turn the engine at 4k rpm with only the primary barrel open.

Oh, I got 14mpg doing it too. I took the trailer 40miles in 1.5hrs from shoreline through downtown seattle to kent. I burned just under 3.5 gallons.

92 toyota pickup 22r, weber 32/36, 4.88 gears, 31x10.50 tires. Engine has almost 300k on it and runs great not burning any oil. No sway bars or load leafs. Electric fuel pump and fan. 160 thermostat. Lots of exhaust leaks. Used a 22re for the high compression ratio. Weber is modified with a steel plate so it can run at any angle.

Pound for pound these trucks are the toughest ever built. You just got to man up and beat it the **** up, she'll get it done.

Related Content You Might Like: