• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

88 P/U with 22R and a W55 5 speed.

tdapsr

Does anyone know if this W55 tranny has a bushing on the rear output shaft that slides out after removing the rear seal. I have a very slight amount of slop on the shaft. Thanks.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
What do you mean by slop, you mean in finding the gear or there is wiggle room where it will pop-out once it's in gear and engaged?

tdapsr

It's the extension housing bushing. Is that a pain to replace? Do I need to remove the extension housing to get it out?

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Does anyone know if this W55 tranny has a bushing on the rear output shaft that slides out after removing the rear seal. I have a very slight amount of slop on the shaft. Thanks.

Hi! any updates, How did you get this figured out?

tdapsr

Hi! any updates, How did you get this figured out?
I did, Thanks to Martin Crawler transmissions! Martin was instrumental and extremely helpful. Super nice guy!. Turns out my W55 -5 speed came out of a V-6. (Bought the truck used). The extension housing bushing has a larger O.D. for my Tranny. I indeed had to drop the tranny, disassemble the cases and press out the bushing and press in a new one, and then hone to fit the yoke shaft. Turned out okay because the internal seals were pretty brittle so I replaced the seals as well! Worked out bitchen. My manufacturer placard on the firewall called for a W55 tranny however apparently the W55 that went into the pickups had a four bolt pattern shift lever housing. Mine had a 6 bolt pattern. Also, according to Martin, Toyota designed some of those bushings as "not replaceable". Of course I found that out AFTER I pressed out the old one. But....all is good as the new one I installed is now tighter than a ......er...the old one! ;-)

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts

Very great, thanks for the update, I am just curious as with toyotafan question, on What do you mean by slop?

tdapsr

Very great, thanks for the update, I am just curious as with toyotafan question, on What do you mean by slop?
"Slop"- American English slang for excessive play. As in "sloppy fit" In this case the slip yoke on the output shaft. Not to be confused with "slop" as used to describe hog feed....As in Elmer is "slopping" the hogs....hope he don't fall in cuz them hogs will devour him. ;-)

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
great thanks for the update I have learn something here.. So right now you have have any issues on your truck

Related Content You Might Like: