• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

86 Front Diff Housing

Minionmax

I have just bought an 86 22R 5 Speed SWB Base line and the front diff is gone, have about 1/2" of wiggle in PS output. Do I need to find a new case befor I pull this one or is that much play just in the blown diff and not in the case. I have found one with the Vac Disconnect off a V6 Auto for $175, will the case interchange? I have the service manual but it does not say, it does not even give gear ratios.I am a Mopar guy and my last Yotas was in the mid 90's. Had an 84 4x4 SR5 LWB and a Kal Kustom Streached 2WD Dually.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
I have just bought an 86 22R 5 Speed SWB Base line and the front diff is gone, have about 1/2" of wiggle in PS output. Do I need to find a new case befor I pull this one or is that much play just in the blown diff and not in the case. I have found one with the Vac Disconnect off a V6 Auto for $175, will the case interchange? I have the service manual but it does not say, it does not even give gear ratios.I am a Mopar guy and my last Yotas was in the mid 90's. Had an 84 4x4 SR5 LWB and a Kal Kustom Streached 2WD Dually.
how long its been like that?I just saw this, but us know if you got this fixed already.

Minionmax

That is how I bought the truck a month ago. The coupling in the manual hubs was not connected to the spring so the axle had been spinning the diff for some time even though the hub was in the "free" position. It is not at the top of the list to fix, mainly a commuter truck at this time. I have tires and interior to fix first, just will get the parts for the diff as I can afford them.

Last edited:

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
What do you mean the front diff is gone? Its physically gone? Or is just ruined and therefore "gone"?

Minionmax

That is what I asked, The output has 1/2" of wobble room on the passengers side. Is the case junk or is it just the bearings? The truck will not even role with it 4x locked in, can push about 2 feet and then it binds. I just wanted to know if this require the case needs to be replaced or is this normal when the diff bearings fail. This is my first IFS 4X. My 84 Toy had a Dana 44 from my 79 Ramcharger that I used a Dana 60.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Sounds like you have at the least a bearing issue. But untill you open the case you wont know for sure about the ring and pinion. My guess would be since it locks in $wd their shot. The Toyota IFS is durable but ive never seen one lock witout being damaged internaly. If the case isnt visibly cracked a best guess would say its ok but with out looking to see if the bearing races are damaged that is only a guess.
sorry but without visibly seeing and laying hands on the diff its only guesses.

Minionmax

If it was not a daily commuter I would pull it now and see or do the Dana 44 solid axle. I will look for a diff case to have if mine is bad, good thing I am in no hurry. I only have $2600 in the truck and the engine was rebuilt about 75K ago. Main reason I bought this one is it has not been hacked on or lifted. Thanks for your help.

Related Content You Might Like: