• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

85 toyota truck clutch problems HELP!!!!

robyota

Hi im Rob,
I am having some real issues with my clutch on my truck.
Was getting a chatter when pressing the clutch so i decided to do a complete overhaul . New clutch, pp, throwout b, pilot b, master and slave cylinder. all from orieleys. throwout bearing was matched to a 89 toyota ??? . now that complete i have everything running smoothly . changes gears like a dream and no chatter . My problem is that the engine in nutral runs about 8 or 9 hundred and when i press the clutch it falls to below 4 or 5 hundred usually killing the engine... All gears can be changed while clutch is pressed... Can rev engine and all ok but as soon as you forget ... stall... Please help this toyota fan out. thanks.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
The fact that the throwout bearing matched to an 89 Toyota I think is a non-issue, I'm pretty sure, though you didnt specify, that your running the 22R or RE. That engine trans package remained virtually unchanged for many years.
You've still got some drag in the clutch package during engagement, either your linkage between the pedal and the master cylinder needs adjustment or you have air in the hydraulic system.
Dont know if you bench bled the master and slave cylinders prior to installation.
First look at pedal adjustment, then try bleeding the system.
Motive makes a great power vacume bleeder that has attachments for bleeding that can usually get every last air bubble out of the system, most Auto Zones have these bleeders on their tool loaner program.

robyota

The New master cylinder was about an inch short.had to adjust all the way out. Before I need again should I consider the difference. It is 22r. Thanks for help. . I am preparing for battle after work.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Maybe recheck that part number to make sure its not considered a suitable replacement on the M/C. With that linkage an inch is a long way and could cause the drag your having.
Good luck with the battle.

antonino

100 Posts
Ahh.. what would you expect? It's already aging. It's an 89 Toyota. Just be glad it's still alive and kicking!

balihaisen

100 Posts
The age of the truck is not an issue here. I think, as long as it is well maintained, the truck can rum smoothly. I've read an article once about a car that had been used by an old woman for almost 4 decades and still runs so smooth.

gladden

I think you have already done a total overhaul here. Wow! You must have devoted a lot of time to do this. Have you fixed it?

suncomb1

I assume your 85 has a 22R series motor in it. Go to your Toyota dealer (or other source) and order a slave cylinder for a 1979 Toyota truck. The slave cylinder has a threaded rod with adjustment nuts and is spring loaded. It is alot easier to adjust your clutch properly with this slave cylinder. !979 Toyota trucks are the only year with this slave cylinder. I have one installed on my 1983 truck and it works perfectly.

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Hi im Rob,
I am having some real issues with my clutch on my truck.
Was getting a chatter when pressing the clutch so i decided to do a complete overhaul . New clutch, pp, throwout b, pilot b, master and slave cylinder. all from orieleys. throwout bearing was matched to a 89 toyota ??? . now that complete i have everything running smoothly . changes gears like a dream and no chatter . My problem is that the engine in nutral runs about 8 or 9 hundred and when i press the clutch it falls to below 4 or 5 hundred usually killing the engine... All gears can be changed while clutch is pressed... Can rev engine and all ok but as soon as you forget ... stall... Please help this toyota fan out. thanks.

Hi robyota, any updates to your truck? Did you fix the issue so far?

Remick

Is it possible you pinched a wire during instalation? Pressing the clutch may be grounding something out. Just a thought.

daisyjohn

If there is air trapped in the clutch system, it will prevent adequate pressure transfer to the slave cylinder/throughout bearing, which could cause the problem you describe.

Related Content You Might Like: