• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

'83 Sr5 4x4 Sells For $50k + Fees @ B-j In Lv

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
At Friday's Barrett-Jackson Las Vegas Auction, a restored 1983 Toyota SR5 4x4 pickup sold for $50,000, plus 10% fees. I'm not sure, but this must be a new high sale price for ANY pre-'84 Toyota truck. The truck has power steering, air conditioning and a tilt wheel. Engine and interior appear totally stock. WOW!

Makes me think I could actually break even if I put my '83 up for sale. I wonder.....

Here's a link to the info on the truck: https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...-PICKUP-221930

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
I heard today that "Millenials are buying vehicles they like." from the auction management.

Well, OK & if that's the case, at least 2 of them had some really deep pockets. Also that the truck in question sat on a used car lot in Roseville, CA for 6 months at a $27K asking price. They take it to the auction and get almost double that. Must be nice.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
That's a sweet looking truck., I grabbed the photos before they remove them from the website (original page). I'm also adding in their copy as well.

1983 TOYOTA SR5 4X4 PICKUP

Auction Las Vegas 2018
Location West Hall D-3
Reserve NO RESERVE
Status Sold
Price $55,000.00
Lot 83.1
Year 1983
Make TOYOTA
Model SR5
Style 4X4 PICKUP

DETAILS
VIN JT4RN38SXD0081482
Exterior Color BEIGE
Interior Color TAN
Cylinders 4
Engine Size 2.4-LITER
Transmission 5-SPEED MANUAL

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION
Lot #83.1 - This third-generation 1983 Toyota SR5 pickup underwent a complete comprehensive restoration and is powered by a 2.4-liter inline 4-cylinder engine mated to a 5-speed manual transmission. The body of the truck is all-original sheet metal that has never had any rust repair. The loaded SR5 4x4 package includes power steering, factory air conditioning and tilt steering wheel. This pickup features factory stripes, Rancho 2-1/2” lift, Northwest 1-1/2” shackles and a Jeepeater under-drive that gives the truck a total of 30 gears. It has stainless-steel swivel brake lines, 5.29 Richmond gears in the front and rear, Toyota TRD posi-traction, and rides on new tires with Cragar wheels.

221930_Front_3-4_Web.png
221930_Interior_Web.png
221930_Side_Profile_Web.png
221930_Rear_3-4_Web.png
221930_Engine_Web.png

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I heard today that "Millenials are buying vehicles they like." from the auction management.

Well, OK & if that's the case, at least 2 of them had some really deep pockets. Also that the truck in question sat on a used car lot in Roseville, CA for 6 months at a $27K asking price. They take it to the auction and get almost double that. Must be nice.
Some of this is almost like "art" ... a painting that someone makes and they hang it on a wall in their house, might be nice to look at, but it takes bringing it to a larger stage for people to really appreciate it and to find a connection with the right buyer. I dunno, then again I've been hit in the head a lot too.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
What's the old saying: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Obviously, some folks really liked this piece of art.

I imagine that any vehicle in a Barrett-Jackson auction is going to get a HUGE amount of exposure (before the auction) among enthusiasts than the same vehicle sitting on a used car lot. I'm actually considering trying an auction should I decide to sell my '83.

I also noticed that the rear bumper is NOT stock, but is a chrome version of the black one I bought off eBay for about $200 (much cheaper than attempting to fix/repaint my bent-up original bumper).

Last edited:

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah, they don't have that level of exposure, especially to well qualified buyers.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Only at a auction of that magnitude could $55K be reached. Can't imagine trying to recoup that $ later.
Nice truck.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
This truck, though nice, is a resto mod which should've kept the price at a reasonable level. Its obvious people with to much money got in a senseless bidding war. It won't ever sell at that price again, so somebody is gonna take a loss if they try to sell again.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
At some point in a vehicle's life there is a point where it's a classic and they will be preserved. One has to wonder how many other 1983 trucks like this are in this condition.

Related Content You Might Like: