• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

76 Toyota Pickup Gas Tank Problem.

codythomas92

Hi I recently bought a 76 Toyota pickup short bed and unfortunately the gas tank was rusted out of it. I have been looking for a replacement but it doesn't seem like anyone makes one, or maybe I am looking in the wrong place? There is one on ebay that looks identical for a later year but it states its a 13.7 gallon and I thought I read somewhere that mine is a 12 gallon, but I cant find where I read such. I was hoping someone could tell me if the ebay one would work or if someone knows where to get replacements, or if there is a tank people generally trade them out for that requires little modifcation. Lastly I was curious if anyone knew how many ohms the stock gas gauge works off because I have a universal fuel sending unit laying around I may be able to use.

87Pickup

I am hearing your call but I don't know your answer. I am not on this site often, but those few moments I am, I feel there is not a lot of response. ?
I am a member on a Facebook Toyota-Tech site - the answers come in faster - might give that a try. Sorry to the admin of this site but there needs to be more immediate response and threads shorter - newest on top - images (also easy image upload - I tried a few image uploads but they seem to go nowhere or in the wrong folder) Log into Facebook | Facebook just checked a post from 9 hours ago about a first gen PU regarding seats: that post got 19 comments ....

87Pickup

Maybe it is just the questions on older models that do not get answered here that fast - less people with older models on the site ? I did just see the thread for "clonk" in the transmission downshifting for a 2017 model ...and the software issues were detected and resolved due to some great members here ! So apologies for saying this forum is a bit slow ... our old trucks are the reason.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
The parts for 1976 trucks just don't exist anymore, if your lucky enough to find a parts truck normally the rusted parts your looking for are in the same condition.
In the last few years I've made a habit of avoiding buying/selling these older vehicles due to the fact that normally once you start pulling it apart to fix cancer on one item it leads to many more issues and repair costs quickly become more than the vehicle will ever be worth.
In a case like this the best option would probably be an aftermarket fuel cell in the bed. All other options quickly add up to more than the trucks worth.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
A custom shop could make one for you, but that would be prohibitively expensive to get done most likely, but it's worth a call to see if they could build you one and what it would cost, they would want all of the job though, build and installation and troubleshooting of the fuel system too.

Otherwise, to do the work yourself, a fuel cell in the bed would be the best bet. I had a '62 GMC with two reserve tanks for camping and extended off-road and they were custom shop-built units, probably added in the 70's with a custom camping step-bumper as well.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
A1 auto, aftermarket auto parts, or auto parts warehouse. One of these 3 should be able to help you. You will need to get in contact with these guys and see what they can do for you.

Related Content You Might Like: