• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

5.7L V8 Tundra - Hard Starting in Really Cold Weather

John Kriegl

I just got a new 2013 tundra v8. thing is awesome.
my question
I'm a yooper and live in upper michigan. My tundra has a pause and like two clicks before it starts in really cold weather. Is this normal?
Thanks,
john

TacoJennifer

TTC Chicks
my question
I'm a yooper and live in upper michigan. My tundra has a pause and like two clicks before it starts in really cold weather. Is this normal?
Thanks,
john
Sorry, not sure what a yooper is, please explain. :)

Is that when you get in and turn the key on quickly and try to start, just wondering if that's not the fuel pump getting primed. That's a total guess, but I don't think it's out of the question. Does it do it below a certain point? Also, I'm not sure if they make a v8 diesel for the Tundra (do they, I have no clue), but I assume you're referencing a gasoline v8?

John Kriegl

Upper peninsula of michigan (people are called yoopers)
Below the mackinaw bridge, lower michigan (people are called trolls)

I have a gasoline v8 and in warm-mild weather starting the tundra is instantaneous. In cold weather, there is a pause before it starts, couple of soft clicks and then it starts. My 05 tundra did not do this and was wondering if the newer style 2013 should do this.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Are you having any battery charging issues at all? That's one possible issue that I've heard, you might try to get your battery load tested at your local auto parts store.

I just chatted with a guy from a local Toyota dealership and there is some type of problem with the flexfuel engines starting quickly and properly in cold weather. Not only problems starting, but they're missing until they get warmed up. They're working on a calibration to fix this, it's a sit and wait for them and I guess you'll have to go in there and have them flash your computer.

If I were you, I'd contact your local dealer and tell them about your problem so they get even more people in their database with similar issues, thus they'll put more energy into the fix.

biglakebubba

my question
Thanks,
john
my 08 started that and the solution was to change out the battery. Are the cables clean on your truck? The battery was charged, then load tested, but came out good. I replaced the battery anyway, she starts fine now. go figure

Greg Vitt

I purchased a Toyota Tundra in October and I love the truck. However in the last couple of weeks we have had some really cold weather for the St Louis Misssouri area, on a 7 degree below zero morning and a 5 degree above zero morning with wind chills in the negative 15 - negative 25 level, I noted the truck not only hesitated to start but it put out a lot of exhaust, including some blue gray exhaust and the exhaust smelled strongly of lubricants. I am dropping it off on Monday night, when it is supposed to be about 2 degrees above zero, and I am going to hope it does it for the dealer first thing in the morning. After the first start, it does just fine. Also, the check engine light has come on twice in the last week, then shut off again. It is off at the moment. I will update the forum on what the dealer says on Tuesday or Wednesday.

It has the 5.7 liter V-8i engine, and is a flex fuel.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I purchased a Toyota Tundra in October and I love the truck. However in the last couple of weeks we have had some really cold weather for the St Louis Misssouri area, on a 7 degree below zero morning and a 5 degree above zero morning with wind chills in the negative 15 - negative 25 level, I noted the truck not only hesitated to start but it put out a lot of exhaust, including some blue gray exhaust and the exhaust smelled strongly of lubricants. I am dropping it off on Monday night, when it is supposed to be about 2 degrees above zero, and I am going to hope it does it for the dealer first thing in the morning. After the first start, it does just fine. Also, the check engine light has come on twice in the last week, then shut off again. It is off at the moment. I will update the forum on what the dealer says on Tuesday or Wednesday.

It has the 5.7 liter V-8i engine, and is a flex fuel.
OK. Thanks for that note and please let us know what your dealer says about it. You could also have someone stand outside the truck and video the first start on a cold morning and post that up on YouTube of you want then share the video here.

Greg Vitt

I know this reply is way late. The dealer was able to reproduce the problem. They were able to fix the issue and gave me loaner while they worked on it. The issue had to do with the sensors that detect the alcohol level in the fuel. I was told the sensors had to be recalibrated. If I remember correctly the sensors were estimating the alcohol level in the fuel at 50% and was trying desperately to compensate for that mix and could not do so...hence the extra exhaust. I was in reality not using E85 gasoline at all. Since the recalibration it ran just fine all winter and for the last year. Twin City Toyota in Festus, Missouri took great care of me, and I couldn't be more pleased. Hopefully it doesn't fall out of calibration again though. I have decided not to take any chances and I won't be using any E85 in the truck, or at least that is our plan.

Regards,

Greg Vitt

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I know this reply is way late. The dealer was able to reproduce the problem. They were able to fix the issue and gave me loaner while they worked on it. The issue had to do with the sensors that detect the alcohol level in the fuel. I was told the sensors had to be recalibrated. If I remember correctly the sensors were estimating the alcohol level in the fuel at 50% and was trying desperately to compensate for that mix and could not do so...hence the extra exhaust. I was in reality not using E85 gasoline at all. Since the recalibration it ran just fine all winter and for the last year. Twin City Toyota in Festus, Missouri took great care of me, and I couldn't be more pleased. Hopefully it doesn't fall out of calibration again though. I have decided not to take any chances and I won't be using any E85 in the truck, or at least that is our plan.

Regards,

Greg Vitt
Glad that you got it fixed and that you found a great dealer who took care of you! I assume you'd go back there and/or recommend them if you had to.

tessy21

Heyes I'm new to the site and I am having a hard starting problem that just came up. It has been doing this for abouabout a week now. I have a 2012 toyota tundra 4x4 5.7 v8. It has been turning over and wont fire off the first time like it suppose to. I turn it off and try to prime the fuel line a cohole of times thinking it might lose pressure in the fuel line. I put some sea foam fuel treatment in it and put 93 octane gas in it to see if that help the problem and I am taking it in the dealership friday. Can someone that might know about this problem. It seems I have the same issue like this per on is having.

Thanks and have a merry Christmas

Dutchie2012

Hi, I'm a new member n just signed up since a saw above thread about cold start problems with 2012 Tundra. My 2012 tundra likes to not crank when weather is like below 35.
I touch the key n it just spins the starter n nothing, just a starter goin like crazy. I live in NE Texas so not to many cold mornings but its ridicilous . Then when this happens I turn the key off n try it again, usually one or two more tries for it to fire up. It never makes the engine light come on and the dealership tells me they can't do nothing about it. They say I need buy better fuel. I just drove 900 miles to Colorado and only put Shell V-power and it still cranks like sj..
I'm frustrated since it seems I'm not the only Tundra owner with this problem.
Hope any owners have a 'recipe' to cure this mess!?

Thanks Dutchie

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
For those who've gotten resolution to this issue, how did you do that?

Dutchie2012

Yes I put sea foam fuel treatment In it and it's not doing it right now. But time will only tell. Let me know if something changes on your end
I put full bottle of Lucas deep cleaner and filled up and drove 14 miles and parked. Next morning at 12 degrees it fired as soon as I touched the key. I was amazed n so far 950 miles later it still cranks like new. I got better fuel mileage to, 16 instead of 14, by calculator.
Guess fuel cleaner/conditioner is all it takes!!?
Keep you posted

tessy21

Ok great. Mine is doing OK also. Have a good new year. Let me know if amy thing changes later on down the road.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah, thats really low miles to have had any issues, glad that you got it sorted out. Cheap and fast fixes are always the best.

You have any other plans or upgrades planned @Dutchie2012?

Related Content You Might Like: