• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

4 cylinder vs. 6 cylinder

FrankieD

I'm looking to buy my first Tacoma! I'm wondering if a 4 cylinder truck has sufficient power. I'm not going to be towing anything or hauling anything heavy - I just want to get up a hill with plenty of speed. I like the better gas mileage of a 4 cylinder but I don't want to sacrifice too much for it. Any thoughts? Thanks.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
The V 6 has a lot of power. I have a 2004 runner with a 4.0L V 6, and I think its 10 HP less than the V 8. That being said, the v 6 trucks don't get grate fuel millage. The 4 runners get better millage that the truck does. IMO your best option, is to go and test drive both. See what you like better. Just because you go to a car lot, doesnt mean you have to buy a truck there. That way you can drive both the 4 cyl and the v 6.

FrankieD

The V 6 has a lot of power. I have a 2004 runner with a 4.0L V 6, and I think its 10 HP less than the V 8. That being said, the v 6 trucks don't get grate fuel millage. The 4 runners get better millage that the truck does. IMO your best option, is to go and test drive both. See what you like better. Just because you go to a car lot, doesnt mean you have to buy a truck there. That way you can drive both the 4 cyl and the v 6.
Thank you, that's good information.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
One aspect regarding "adequate power" is elevation. If you happen to live at an elevation that is higher than 2000 feet or so, the 4 cyl will have noticeably less power than the V6. At high elevations (Rocky Mtns), it's even more noticeable.

Totally agree with the other guys--you MUST do a looong test drive that includes ALL the typical terrain/traffic that you will find yourself in. My personal "test drive loop" is 30 miles long.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
If the vehicle is simply for commuting a 4 cylinder is good enough.IMO
$6 a gallon around here is a deterrent for me to having big power for the occasional towing. It all depends on how much you are willing to budget monthly for gasoline.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
FYI: If you are looking at new models the difference in mileage between the 4 cyl and 6 cyl is little: 20/23 compared to 18/22.

Robin Veerman

I'm looking to buy my first Tacoma! I'm wondering if a 4 cylinder truck has sufficient power. I'm not going to be towing anything or hauling anything heavy - I just want to get up a hill with plenty of speed. I like the better gas mileage of a 4 cylinder but I don't want to sacrifice too much for it.

I'm not sure if you're looking at 4x4 or 2WD, you also will haul or tow heavy stuff sometimes, we all do on occasion. If you buy a 4x4 you wouldn't be happy with a 4banger. The fuel difference is minimal if hauling anything because the v6 doesn't work as hard to move down the road as the 4banger will. Also resale on a 4banger 4x4 is not good. If you're comfortable with a manual trans you can save a teeny bit on fuel too...maybe. But, take a test drive with both engines to see what works for you.
My 2cents, Dutchy

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Lots of 4th gear towing the steeper grades. The older 4 cylinders were more fuel efficient than their 6 cylinder counterparts. My only reason for owning a 4x4 is getting my boat in and out of the lakes, we don't have traditional boat launches, usually just a clearing to the waters edge.

IMG_1964.JPG

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I was in the same boat two years ago. After doing lots of research, I decided the 4 cyl 4x4 was the best for me. Didn't need the 4 wheel drive but I always order it on my trucks. Love the 5 speed - plenty of power for my needs. Use it mainly for going to work and occasionally hauling trash to the dumpster. The 4 banger is easy to work on and very dependable. If I ever decide I want to haul more or pull my 5x8 trailer loaded, I may consider the 6 cyl. in the future. In my area, the 4 cylinders bring a premo resale price.

Related Content You Might Like: