• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

22r Rwd 1987 Toyota Pickup

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
A cam swap will make a big difference. When I had my Nissan, I put in the largest cam I could get. I woke up the 4 banger, big time. It is a fairly easy swap on a 4 banger with over head cam.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Parts are a bit hard to find, but as was mentioned an RV grind cam. Then long tube headers, and either Mikuni side draft carbs or Webers, if you can find a manifold for duals it'll make a big difference.
Then open up the exhaust just a little, if I remember factory pipe was 1.5, don't go over 2.25.
Depending on what your using the truck for a gear swap might help too.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Depending on your budget there are rebuilt 200 hp 22R engines available online. If I did it again I would go for the big horses!

Rusty Yota

Parts are a bit hard to find, but as was mentioned an RV grind cam. Then long tube headers, and either Mikuni side draft carbs or Webers, if you can find a manifold for duals it'll make a big difference.
Then open up the exhaust just a little, if I remember factory pipe was 1.5, don't go over 2.25.
Depending on what your using the truck for a gear swap might help too.
Awesome, also widening the pipe will make a deeper sound? I was looking for a good exhaust system because i don't have a catalytic converter because it rusted off, i wanted to redo the entire exhaust system anyway

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
I have run Crane cams, an comp cams before with good luck, but in this case, you have have to get what is available. I don't remember what brand cam I put in my Nissan, when I had it. Is 1987 a carb engine ? If so, then you can put just about any size cam you want in it, but if it is EFI you will be limited to what you can do.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Exhaust will help, , but you are looking at 10 or 15 HP maybe. Do this and a cam swap. A good cam swap is good for 30 to 50 HP maybe, depending on what cam you get. You can also add a header, and there are a lot of other thing you can do as well. A port and polished head, or a good flowing head, and a performance cam is one of the most effective performance mods you can do on any engine. Summit racing, and Jegs should have what you are looking for. You can also call crane cams, or comp cams directly and talk to a tech on the phone, and they can and will guide on cam selection for what you want to do with the truck. I am sure there are other cam company's that will do the same. All I did to my Nissan, was a cam swap. Before the swap, the truck would not do over 80 MPH and that was a long slow climb on flat ground. After the swap, the truck would almost keep up with a Chevy 4.3 L V6. Those that rode with me before and after, said I gained 50 HP at least. I don't know about that, but the truck woke up. I had no problem doing over 100 MPH after the swap, and it jumped to attention when you nailed the gas.

Last edited:

Rusty Yota

I have run Crane cams, an comp cams before with good luck, but in this case, you have have to get what is available. I don't remember what brand cam I put in my Nissan, when I had it. Is 1987 a carb engine ? If so, then you can put just about any size cam you want in it, but if it is EFI you will be limited to what you can do.
Yeah its corroborated

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Choose wisely with your muffler.
Something like a Flowmaster is a little to open, look at a Magnaflow or something similar.

Related Content You Might Like: