• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

2020 Tacoma shortfalls

Braimo4

The 2020 Toyota has a couple of serious shortfalls:

1. The new and improved GPS/Map feature is a giant steep back. The new version cumbersome and not intuitive at all. Again a giant step back from previous years. I traded my 2017 Tacoma Sport for a 2020 Tacoma sport in Dec. Now to use the map feature I have to use my iPhone. Not only do I have to use my iPhone but I have to manually plug it in. What a bunch of bs. How much would have cost Toyota to leave the CD reader for GPS?

2. The 2020 has a built in wireless charging station so why don't they use bluetooth to connect the phone to the mapping feature? SILLY omission by Toyota.

3. The "dash lights" appear to only have two settings . Night and day. Neither setting is adjustable, Terrible for those hours between daylight and total dark.

For What its worth I have owned 5 Tacomas trading every 2.5 to 3 years. I liked each - but I wish I would have waited on this one. Toyota has always been behind the curve for technology in Tacomas and this year they have fallen back even further. A friend stopped by with his new Ridgeline and the Technology package blows the Tacoma away. I do realize that they are NOT comparable vehicles but keeping up with Honda as far as interior features goes should NOT be that difficult. AND the gas milage comparisons .....Ridgeline with full time AWD gets over 30 REAL mpg while my Tacoma does not get more that 17-18. Disappointed to say the least that Toyota falls further behind and just relies guys like me buying another Toyota because of the name brand......

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts

1. The new and improved GPS/Map feature is a giant steep back. The new version cumbersome and not intuitive at all. Again a giant step back from previous years. I traded my 2017 Tacoma Sport for a 2020 Tacoma sport in Dec. Now to use the map feature I have to use my iPhone. Not only do I have to use my iPhone but I have to manually plug it in. What a bunch of bs. How much would have cost Toyota to leave the CD reader for GPS?

2. The 2020 has a built in wireless charging station so why don't they use bluetooth to connect the phone to the mapping feature? SILLY omission by Toyota.

3. The "dash lights" appear to only have two settings . Night and day. Neither setting is adjustable, Terrible for those hours between daylight and total dark.

For What its worth I have owned 5 Tacomas trading every 2.5 to 3 years. I liked each - but I wish I would have waited on this one. Toyota has always been behind the curve for technology in Tacomas and this year they have fallen back even further. A friend stopped by with his new Ridgeline and the Technology package blows the Tacoma away. I do realize that they are NOT comparable vehicles but keeping up with Honda as far as interior features goes should NOT be that difficult. AND the gas milage comparisons .....Ridgeline with full time AWD gets over 30 REAL mpg while my Tacoma does not get more that 17-18. Disappointed to say the least that Toyota falls further behind and just relies guys like me buying another Toyota because of the name brand......
Really, this seems hard to believe. Can you take some pics of your dash, the light and the radio and posts here so we can see what you're talking about?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts

Good insights and write up

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Not too surprising to me. For several years, Toyota's truck technology has been WAAAY behind that of other manufacturers. My neighbor's 2017 RAM has a noticeably better user interface than our 2019 Tundra. But, his entire screen has been blanking out intermittently--oh yeah, it's a RAM. My thought is that Toyota never spends the time & effort to properly integrate the various systems that make up the user interface. It's more of a weird patch job that isn't well thought-out or tested (let the customer do the testing). Plus, the sound systems suck. I'm hoping the next gen Tundra is better at this, but given the OP's experience with his Tacoma, my expectations are quite low.

Having owned 2 older Ridgelines, I can attest to Honda's better user interface, better sound system and better highway ride. But, the Ridgeline is NOT an off-road truck. It has much less ground clearance than a Tacoma, and our Ridgelines had many components hanging down on the underside of the truck with NO protection--due to not having body-on-frame construction. The lowest point of ground clearance on our first gen Ridgelines was right in the center of the truck, due to the components hanging down. Like less than 7". Maybe Honda's fixed that (?). Also, my experiences with Honda's full time AWD sucked. When slippage was felt at the front (FWD was normal), you could really feel when the rear wheels engaged--almost like a jerk or clank. Totally disconcerting and I hated that.

JB1025

I really like the Honda Ridgeline but want the latest model and my Checkbook said hell no to the price was very unhappy with my 2016 Accord Sport as far as HVAC never got warm enough for me in the footwell area my 2013 Accord Sport never had this problem. My 2018 Rav4 is good in the heater dept just not great my beater 93 Toyota Dlx pu is way better then all of them.

Related Content You Might Like: