• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

2018 Tacoma TRD ~ Hesitation at Highway Speed

dan scuka

I recently purchased a 2018 Tacoma TRD and notice a bit of a constant hesitation at highway speed under slight load.

When in sport mode, it lessens but does not disappear. I have taken it to two different dealers who both said that they have heard this similar complaint a couple times already and think it is the transmission shifting back and forth on economy mode.

They did not say there was not an issue but did say it drives like it is designed to drive. They did not admit there was a defect though as they said they all react that way.

Has anyone else noticed this issue in the newer models? A technician told me they changed engines and transmissions after 2016 and in his opinion it has gone downhill.

Any comments?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I recently purchased a 2018 Tacoma TRD and notice a bit of a constant hesitation at highway speed under slight load. When in sport mode, it lessens but does not disappear. I have taken it to two different dealers who both said that they have heard this similar complaint a couple times already and think it is the transmission shifting back and forth on economy mode. They did not say there was not an issue but did say it drives like it is designed to drive. They did not admit there was a defect though as they said they all react that way. Has anyone else noticed this issue in the newer models? A technician told me they changed engines and transmissions after 2016 and in his opinion it has gone downhill. Any comments?
First off, welcome to the site. I drove a couple of TRD Tacomas before I got my Tundra and I noticed the same hesitation when test driving at freeway speed without a load, so I can't comment on the under slight load part of this. How does it handle and drive otherwise? How many miles on it?

dan scuka

First off, welcome to the site. I drove a couple of TRD Tacomas before I got my Tundra and I noticed the same hesitation when test driving at freeway speed without a load, so I can't comment on the under slight load part of this. How does it handle and drive otherwise? How many miles on it?
It handles well other than pulling to the right slightly. I had it in the shop three times for that problem already and they seem to adjust it and works for awhile and then back to the same. Its very disappointing. I bought a new 2006 Tacoma and still have it and it has almost 300,000 miles and never saw the shop in its whole life other than regular service. I expected the same with my new one but am very disappointed. Currently I have around 27,000 km (16,500 miles).

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
It handles well other than pulling to the right slightly. I had it in the shop three times for that problem already and they seem to adjust it and works for awhile and then back to the same. Its very disappointing. I bought a new 2006 Tacoma and still have it and it has almost 300,000 miles and never saw the shop in its whole life other than regular service. I expected the same with my new one but am very disappointed. Currently I have around 27,000 km (16,500 miles).
When did you buy it? Was it a 1-party trade in?

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Ok, I did a little bit of research and there is a technical service bulletin on this.

TSB 0062-18. This is a firmware update that has been designed to help correct the hesitation issue. Call your dealer and mention this TSB and see if it's been applied to your truck or not.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
I recently purchased a 2018 Tacoma TRD and notice a bit of a constant hesitation at highway speed under slight load.

When in sport mode, it lessens but does not disappear. I have taken it to two different dealers who both said that they have heard this similar complaint a couple times already and think it is the transmission shifting back and forth on economy mode.

They did not say there was not an issue but did say it drives like it is designed to drive. They did not admit there was a defect though as they said they all react that way.

Has anyone else noticed this issue in the newer models? A technician told me they changed engines and transmissions after 2016 and in his opinion it has gone downhill.

Any comments?
Did you ever do anything about this or just accepted it? I think the Taco is underpowered so that's just life but other's have had them programmed, etc.

TN TRD Guy

Any comments?
I've got a similar complaint/observation as well. freeway or up hills it's just gutless and hesitates for at least 2 or 3 seconds. Did anyone come up with the tune to get more power on this?

Related Content You Might Like: