• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

2016 Toyota Tacoma's 'Atkinson' Cycle

Nana

TTC Chicks
By now we all know the new 2016 Toyota Tacoma will feature a new 3.5-liter V-6 engine, the engine will use the "Atkinson" cycle, which It promises to provide better fuel economy, here's how it works:

The Atkinson cycle aims to use all of the energy in the cylinder. It does this by leaving the intake valve open longer, creating a shorter compression stroke, once the power stroke is complete (i.e., the four cycles are done) there is almost no remaining pressure in the cylinder. This is accomplished by leaving the intake valve open for a small portion of the compression stroke. As the piston head moves downward, a new, fresh fuel mixture is pumped in. At a predetermined point in the stroke of the piston, the intake valve is shut. The net effect of this is that the power stroke is shortened.

Nana

TTC Chicks
The Atkinson cycle may cause some confusion for people, mainly because the Otto engine cycle is used for the vast majority of gasoline engines and also more known among people.

What do you think guys?

Last edited:

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I've heard about it over the past couple of years, really interested in learning more about it.

OneGoo

One of the problems with the Atkinson cycle is the shorter power stroke, which may affect its rpm, but we will see how the new Toyota will run with this engine.

ChiefTRDSport

I know my 2016 TRD Sport V6 runs great and I tend to drive it more like a sports car (6 speed manual transmission), but I do wish it had more power. A supercharger would be nice.

Related Content You Might Like: