• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

2014 Toyota Tundra Shattered Touch Screen On Radio

clr8ter

Just now on the way home, I broke the touch screen on my '14 Tacoma. It now displays ok, but is not accepting touch input. Anybody know the replacement cost on this?

Last edited:

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
wow, the newer units aren't as expensive because they have removed the display from the head unit (they're two pieces) but pretty sure that's a one-piece unit in the 2014. Let me look ...

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Just now on the way home, I broke the touch screen on my '14 Tacoma. It now displays ok, but is not accepting touch input. Anybody know the replacement cost on this?
what's you'r trim level on that truck?

clr8ter

Jeezus, Toyota is out of their tree if they think they can get 3 grand for that pile. Back in '07, I didn't think they had theses radios...The trim level on my truck is "fairly loaded" Steering wheel controls for the radio, aluminum wheels, color coded bumpers and mirrors...

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Really, that's an insurance claim issue thing. They jack their rates up so that insurance companies will pay for the parts when they go out. This is an old business model, because a comparible 3rd party unit is about $300, so the 10x price tag is crazy.

Seems to be that most parts are no longer like this, if you get an OEM alternator, you're going to pay maybe 20-40% more than an aftermarket unit. That's pretty much at least in the ballpark. But paying $3000 for a head unit when you can get a plug-and-play aftermarket that will do the same thing ... just crazy.

clr8ter

So there is a radio that will do the exact same thing? Operate with the steering wheel controls, backup camera, phone connectivity, etc.? If such a device is available for $300, I'm sold. I bet it's better, too....

Last edited:

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Well, some of the functions can be found, not sure about everything, but just look at the $600 units and they seem to be able to do much of that. Maybe the newer systems are all propitiatory, but at least up until a couple of years ago you could find a major audio manufacturer unit that was comparible to OEM for far less money that plugged in and did much of the same job.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Check out Crutchfield and find what fits your Tundra. Pick a unit and it should give you a general idea of what vehicle features are retained.

clr8ter

Thanks for all the replies. I've contacted Crutchfield, and they are looking into it...Any other ideas or comments, please feel free.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Ok, awesome. If you do an amazon search or ebay search with your YMM + touch screen you will get a lot of options as well. Might want to include terms like "plug-and-play" or "steering wheel controls".

clr8ter

So, here are my options;
1. There is a guy who is selling a like-new OEM unit on Ebay for $600+-.

2. This same guy says he can replace the screen on the one I have for $300 + shipping.

3. I can get a whole new aftermarket one for slightly more than $500.

The OEM one for 600 is not likely, since I hate the radio. Fixing the one I have (the ability of which is in direct conflict to what I was told here) is the most $ attractive option, but I'm still left with a radio I dislike. The aftermarket option I like the best, except that I'm still not sure about what features I will retain or not.

Any further thoughts?

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I don't think you can get oem parts like that from the factory, but maybe they have a source from the manufacturer or an aftermarket screen or something. It's worth a shot if they can do it.

What's the like to the replacement service?

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Let us know how you proceed and take pics before and after if you can.

clr8ter

Still haven't gone anywhere with this. Having a hard time deciding where to spend the money. Question; Will a 2018 510102 replace a 2014 57090? There is a practically new one on eBay for 300 bucks.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Still haven't gone anywhere with this. Having a hard time deciding where to spend the money. Question; Will a 2018 510102 replace a 2014 57090? There is a practically new one on eBay for 300 bucks.
May be worth a try in talking with a few Toyota parts guys and asking if they are interchangeable. One of them should have the knowledge to answer this.

Related Content You Might Like: