• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

2014 Toyota 4 Runner - Which Trim Level and Equipment Package should I get?

Samtucky

100 Posts
My friend loves the 2014 Toyota 4 Runner that he just purchased and after riding in it a few times I have to say that I have also fallen in love with this vehicle too! So, now I am off on the process of trying to see if it makes sense to get one for my own driveway.

However, now that I have taken more than a cursory glance at these vehicles I am left with a lot of questions that I have to come to some decisions before I can narrow it all down.

Please help me out if you have any opinion on my questions.

What 4Runner Edition Should I get?

First of all, what trim/edition (are they trim levels or editions?) is right for me? I plan on being off-road about 25% of the miles that I put on this rig, 25% driving around town and 50% commuting to work. This will be maybe 10 hunting/fishing trips as well into some deep woods.

Let's hear some recommendations and the pros/cons for these:
  • Toyota 4Runner SR5
  • Toyota 4Runner Trail
  • Toyota 4Runner Limited
What's the Total Cost of Ownership?
  • What is the real life gas mileage with the 4 Runner?
  • How much are repairs and maintenance that's not covered?
  • What is the factory maintenance all about anyhow?
  • Is there a difference between the various trim levels for any of this stuff?
Finance Options / Paying For It / Insurance
I also am not in a position where I can just pay cash for it either.
  • Are there any good finance deals on the 4 Runner right now?
  • Maybe a 0% financing for 36 months or something like that?
  • Does it cost a lot to get insurance for this vehicle compared to other SUVs?
That's all I can think about right now, hopefully we can get a good conversation going.

SharkRider

100 Posts
I don't own a 2014 Toyota 4 Runner ... However they look really good and i've heard that the new engine configuration and computerized transmission and shifting points help it to get really pretty good mileage.

Plus Toyota is offering up some outstanding deals on the 4 Runner for 2013 right now, I'm sure that they won't have much right now for the 2014, but you never know. It seems to be that all car manufacturers have incentives from the start these days and just increase them as the year moves on.

Just remember, you can have it now for the best selection or have it later for the best price. They're only going to build so many of these for the year and their goal is to sell off 100% of their stock to dealers at least 90 days before they start to deliver for the next model year's production.

Since dealers will then be holding onto the vehicles then and doing whatever incentives they can to get you in the door, the manufacturer will kick a strong incentive over the summer months to get people into the vehicle for the least amount down possible, and then again at the end of the year for a value incentive followed in the early spring to help sell off the remaining inventory with the lowest price that you're going to see for it.

Samtucky

100 Posts
Good to hear. How does the 2014 Toyota 4 Runner handle curves? Does it offer Hill Assist?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah, there are a ton of features that are stock in the new 4Runner, this does include hill assist, and other features like that as well.

Here's some basics from the Toyota website about each edition of the 4Runner - and I also don't know if it's a trim level or edition. In some places they call one package the "Trail Edition", but their website has a whole tab for "Models". That's strange because usually it's Year/Make/Model/Trim/Engine ... but I'm getting off topic. :)

2014 Toyota 4Runner Models Trim Levels
  • SR5 - Contemporary ruggedness. The 2014 4Runner SR5’s front end has been redesigned with a bold new look, while still paying tribute to the iconic image that has distinguished 4Runner for years.
  • Trail - The 2014 4Runner Trail stands out with two distinctive features: its signature hood scoop and a new contrasting silver panel on the front and rear bumpers — subtle statements that make a bold impression.
  • Limited - Apart from a unique front-end design, 4Runner Limited comes with refined accents like chrome door handles and a chrome-accented front grille that give it a personality of its own.

Exterior Specs (from the Toyota website)
{Spec Name & Description / SR5 / Trail / Limited}

Projector-beam headlights with smoked trim Standard Standard Standard
Auto onoff headlight feature Not available Not available Standard
LED taillights with smoked sport trim Standard Standard Standard
Integrated fog lights Standard Standard Standard
Color-keyed front and rear bumpers, door handles, heated power outside mirrors, overfenders, side rocker panels and rear spoiler; silver-painted roof rails with silver endcapsStandard Not available Not available
Color-keyed front and rear bumpers, door handles, heated power outside mirrors with turn signal indicators and puddle lights, overfenders, side rocker panels, and rear spolier; and silver-painted roof rails with silver endcaps Not available Not available Not available
Color-keyed front and rear bumpers with silver accents, door handles, heated power outside mirrors, overfenders, side rocker panels, hood scoop and rear spoiler; silver-painted roof rails with black endcaps Not available Standard Not available
Color-keyed front and rear bumpers with silver accents, door handles, heated power outside mirrors with turn signal indicators and puddle lights, overfenders, side rocker panels, hood scoop, and rear spoiler; and silver-painted roof rails with black endcaps Not available Not available Not available
Color-keyed front and rear bumpers, side rocker panels with chrome inserts, heated power outside mirrors with turn signal indicators and puddle lights, overfenders and rear spoiler; chrome door handles, chrome-accented front grille insert, rear license plate garnish, and chrome-painted roof rails with silver endcaps Not available Not available Standard
Chrome door handles with touch-sensor lockunlock feature Not available Not available Standard
Power tiltslide moonroof with sunshade Not available Not available Standard
17-in. 6-spoke alloy wheels with P26570R17 tires Standard Not available Not available
17-in. 7-spoke alloy wheels with P26570R17 tires Not available Standard Not available
20-in. split 6-spoke alloy wheels with P24560R20 tires 7 Not available Not available Standard
Aerodynamic variable intermittent windshield wipers with mist cycle Standard Standard Standard
Windshield wiper de-icer Standard Standard Standard
Privacy glass on rear side, quarter and rear liftgate windows Standard Standard Standard
Color-keyed rear spoiler with LED center high-mount stop light and integrated concealed rear wiper with mist cycle Standard Standard Standard
Skid plates — on enginefront suspension, fuel tank and transfer case (transfer case on 4x4 models only) Standard Standard Standard
Front and rear mudguardsStandardStandard Not available
Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS) Not available Optional Not available
Automatic running boards Not available Not available Optional
Rigid running boardsOptionalOptional Not available

Last edited:

PaleoMama

Staff member
TTC Chicks
100 Posts
Community Leader
Fantastic choice ;) I bought my 2014 4Runner Trail earlier this month, and I love it, love it, love it.

First, if you haven't already picked up a brochure from the dealer, here's the digital version. The charts at the back are very helpful, in comparing features:

http://www.toyota.com/4runner/ebrochure/

Going into my purchase, #1 must-have was 4-wheel drive. I'm in the midst of having sold my home in Florida, and packing up and relocating permanently to the mountains of Colorado. 4x4 SR5's were not impossible to come by, here at the South Florida dealerships, but there were plenty of Trails available, too (which are 4x4 by default). I was buying from 200 miles away, over the phone/Internet, sight unseen, so searching for Trail edition 4Runners just made my shopping that much easier.

I test-drove a Limited, but for me, personally, I didn't particularly want/need/like all the bells and whistles on that trim level. I will be heading down a lot of dirt roads in farm country, and I could already picture all the dings and scratches I'd put on the chrome-heavy fascia of a Limited model. For me, I needed something a little more rugged.

What sold me on the Trail edition were the Crawl Control and Multi-Terrain Select systems (only available on the Trail), and the Downhill Assist Control (standard on the Trail, optional on the SR5 and Limited). I just happen to like the look of the front of the Trail edition, too. That's my favorite out of the three trim levels.

Total Cost of Ownership:

Hard for me to say right now, as I've had mine less than a month. Brand-wise, coming from a Toyota family, they all seem to be very well-made, low-maintenance cars. For example, my dad's 11-year-old Camry only just went into the shop for the very first time last year, and it was for a minor issue with the wiring to the rear license plate bulb. Tires and oil changes were all he's put into it, up until then. That quality construction and durability were big factors in my purchasing decision.

Gas mileage isn't really indicative, as I'm still putting around my current home on a small, cramped island, and not in the meat of my daily city commute. So far, it seems like it's pretty comparable to my old 2008 Grand Caravan. The 4Runner does have a little green "ECO" light that comes up on the dash, when you're accelerating gently, and going easy on the gas. Someone suggested turning off the traction control as soon as you start up the car each time, too, to help with the gas mileage. It's been hot, dry, and sunny, so I've gotten in the habit of doing that. I'll report again once I'm settled in my new home, with more indicative driving under my belt.

Financing/Insurance:

There is zero percent dealer financing going on right now. Out the door, tags and taxes, I paid just over $42K for my Trail.

Insurance: you're talking to the right person ;) I am a licensed insurance agent. Insurance on trucks (and SUVs, which are classified as trucks) is much higher than on a typical car. If you buy new and finance it, the lienholder aspect bumps your premium up a touch as well. It really does depend where you live as well. My current rates are pretty close to those of the city of Miami (Worst. Driving. City. Ever.). My six-month premium doubled when I swapped out my 2008 Grand Caravan for the 2014 4Runner. However, I'll be paying peanuts for the same level of coverage, for this same 4Runner, once I move to the Denver area. Go figure :p

All in all, it's a fantastic vehicle, and I would have no qualms buying another one again. I have a few minor gripes about the Entune system (but the technology will evolve and improve over time), and I do wish Toyota would put in a better sound system (or at least make that JBL option available on more than just the Limited trim). I'd love to see a power lift gate available as well. The pros still outweigh any minor cons, and I'm extremely happy with my new 4Runner.

Good luck, and please do post any further questions you may have :)

PaleoMama

Staff member
TTC Chicks
100 Posts
Community Leader
Good to hear. How does the 2014 Toyota 4 Runner handle curves? Does it offer Hill Assist?
I haven't had any issues going around corners or curves. It really is a lot of fun to drive. It certainly doesn't feel like you're steering a school bus.

Hill Start Assist Control is standard on all three trims. Downhill Assist Control, as I mentioned above, is standard on the Trail, and optional on the SR5 and Limited.

Related Content You Might Like: