• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

2003 Tundra Exhaust - Single or Duel cat back?

rayvanzant

I have a 2003 4.7 liter tundra and was wondering about changeing the exhaust cat back. Is there really much difference in power if I go the one cat back to duel exhaust compared to just going cat back with say a 2 1/2 pipe?
I am not looking to have loud truck,just little more power and gas milage. Thank You for the answers

5.7yotafan

100 Posts
I think dual looks better. I've never had a power increase that could really be felt just from changing exhaust. Keep in mind that a free flowing, less restrictive setup will give the most power in theory. My exhaust came from the factory coming off both sides of the exhaust manifold into a 2 into 1 muffler. When I put dual lines on I just put 2 single in/single out mufflers. The biggest difference in power was when I went back and put an X pipe in, it toned it down a little but it definately helped out low end power.

1 bad tacoma

100 Posts
I have a 2003 4.7 liter tundra and was wondering about changeing the exhaust cat back. Is there really much difference in power if I go the one cat back to duel exhaust compared to just going cat back with say a 2 1/2 pipe?
I am not looking to have loud truck,just little more power and gas milage. Thank You for the answers
go with dauls you dont need true duals because the computer runs the motor yes it will give you power and looks but not enough for the cost of getting it done. i got mine done more for sound than anything else. if you want power get headers long tube headers and a high flow cat or gut the cat and get a dummy sensor to full the computer so it dont run rich.

Archangel

duals FTMFW! Only thing I ever put on my trucks is side exit dual exhaust. Looks, top end power, and sounds really good too.

1 bad tacoma

100 Posts
Now if you want loud I would go with flowmaster. 40 series single chamber muffler I have on on my 4.0 v6 and its pretty lound I can set car alarms off in parking lots when I go by lol

bebtunes

100 Posts
me personally, i like the duel cause it would make it easier for breathing, plus i think it makes it sound better

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I have always liked dual cat-back, but just as long as the pipe is big enough the performance gains may or may not be there. You have to get the right setup like a Magnaflow performance exhaust, plus they do sound better. Much richer sound overall.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
If you're doing the upgrade anyhow, go for the true duel cat-back, everything I've read says it will give you more power.

danstpierre

100 Posts
The only difference between a dual cat back and a standard one. Of course, there will be some changes in the sound or noise. But when it comes to performance, there was none. Just go for the dual, if you want it to look more bad-ass.

antonino

100 Posts
The duel catback looks more masculine. Although I have doubts if it really gives more power. Power comes from the engine, not from the exhaust. Exhaust is anus to humans, that's all it is.

rayvanzant

TY for all the replies,it's been ages since I been to this site. I think once my exhaust needs to be replace, I am going with the single 2 1/2 cat back, as I use my truck as a everyday driver and don't want anything to loud.In fact I had a 89 Toy with headers and 2 1/4 single that was loud at highway speed.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
How many miles on it now?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

rayvanzant

I have just over a 100,000 miles on it. I know not much miles for a 10 year old truck,in fact I have not even thought about replacing the water pump/timing belt yet. As crazy as it seems, LAUGH NOW folks, my 245 HP is plenty of power for me,so I am not asking to change the exhaust to get much power gain.Only thing I changed so far is I changed to a knock off of regular K&N air filter( I think it's called True Blue or something) and I added a wider exhaust tip( I like the tip as the chrome looks great with the SR5 package).
That 89 Toyota I had was MY TOY, I added so much aftermarket parts to it, I could have bought a newer Tacoma with the same effects and probably paid the same!! But boy did that truck run great. OK,I miss it even to this day,as I bought it brand new and every mile/part on it,I knew like the back of my hand.

dirtydeeds

Gold Vendor
100 Posts
Here's the deal, Toyota has spent a lot of time and effort to make their engines run as efficiently as possible. To guess what would work better is putting yourself in a bad position. It's easier to make a Toyota exhaust worse than it is to make it better.

I've literally built thousands of Tundra exhaust systems. And over the years experimented with hundreds of different designs.

When you're running stock exhaust manifolds naturally aspirated you will find the very best power all the way thru the power band if you run single exhaust, stock diameter, and replace just the muffler since it is the restriction in the stock system. (I've dyno tested this theory to confirm)

If running long tube headers, you can run catted or catless. I've dyno and track tested and found that there is 30HP in a set of long tube headers over stock if you run 2.5" dual exhaust with X pipe and BAmufflers;)

When supercharged, all of the above works, volumetric efficiency is improved by the supercharger far more than it is with air flow and thermal dynamics of the inlet/outlet of the airpump (engine)

Here's a great read which outlines the basics of a good exhaust system. Most of these ideas were my neighbors (he is a retired thermal dynamics engineer at lockhead martin, his biggest project was one of the apollo rockets!!)
How a properly built exhaust system works

Related Content You Might Like: