• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

2003 Tacoma Rough Engine

Shadowbomb

Hello - I'm new here. I recently bought a 2003 Tacoma 2wd Standard cab 4cyl with automatic transmission. It looks great, has only 137K miles, but was purchased with a salvage title due to some front end damage. The Carfax report says it only affected the bumper and grill, not even the radiator or hood.

It had a pretty rough idle that the mechanic diagnosed as worn front engine mounts, which he replaced. Big improvement, but the underlying roughness is still there. It is worst when idling with foot on the brake and in gear, smooths out considerably when moving.

Before I take it in again I would appreciate any guesses as to the nature of the problem. Is it a known problem with this model? Harmonic balancer? Flex plate? I have no way of knowing and am the mercy of the mechanic. If I can at least sound like I have given it some thought, maybe I will get a straight(-er) answer. I'd really appreciate any and all input.

I also have a 2006 Tacoma and a 1985 RV. Love Toyota trucks!

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Yea sounds like vacuum issues.
A quick way to find any leaks is with carb cleaner, spray the cleaner around the injectors, vacuum lines, intake manifold, etc.
You'll hear a change in the engine tone when you find the leak.
Just be careful around hot parts as this stuff is flammable.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
tbplus10 is rite, you can also do the same thing with a propane torch that is not light, letting the gas come out just a little bit. The engine will pick this up where a leak is and it will speed up as the propane gets sucked into the intake. I would have given you more info in my first post, but I was at work, on my brake.

Related Content You Might Like: