• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

2003 Tacoma 4x4 Vibration

George Richardson

I have a 03 Tacoma 4x4, it has a bad vibration around 60-70 MPH. I have replaced the center carrier bearing, both front cv axles shafts, both sides upper and lower ball joints and I cannot figure out what is causing the vibration. The tires are only about 6 months old and have been checked and re-balanced.
Anyone have any idea's.
George

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Also, are you having your tires balanced at the same shop. I can have mine done at one shop and my truck will shake a little, but if I drive across town, and have them done at there other location, I have no shake. Balance machines need to be calibrated every so often to be accurate. When was your shops machine last calibrated? Also set up of the tires on the machine is very important. If the tech is not experienced in your trucks set up, it is easy to do an improper balance job.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
George;
Has this truck been lifted or had any suspension modifications other than maintaining oem specs?
How many miles?
Have the u-joints been replaced ever?
What type/make and size tires on it?
Did it vibrate before the new tires? Or only after?
Factory rims or aftermarket?
Have you checked the tie rod bushings for slack or wobble?
Also the power rack bushings for wear?
Toyota and some aftermarket mfgrs sell replacement rack bushings and tie rod end replacements, these parts wear and can cause the issue you have, been there, done that on my 99 xcab.
On the bushings I prefer the tephlon replacements vs the rubber, unfortunately while giving more precise and firm handling they also give some vibration through the frame and can wear faster.

George Richardson

Just had tires re-balanced again at a different Les Schwab and the guy stripped all the wheel weights off and started from scratch. I marked where the weights were before and after. The weights are in a different spots on all 4 tires.
Stock suspension, factory wheels, Wild Country Radial XTX 265/75R16 tires, 151,000 miles.
Same brand and size tires that were on it when we replaced them with the new ones.
U-joints are all tight but I am still going to replace them.
I am still thinking it is the tires because it only started after putting on the new tires. bought new November 2016. Only starts the vibration at 60 mph or above, does not vibrate below 60 mph

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
So now that you had the tires re-balanced, is there still a vibration?

George Richardson

Yes , as soon as we got up to 60 mph it started again. I am thinking that the tires need to be broke off the bead and spun around on the rim like the guy on the video was talking about.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
George have you ever heard of "shaving" tires?
With some larger tires at times it necessary to have them shaved to get the tire back round and balanced.
This is normally caused by a tire manufactured in a casing that has been used many times and is warped.
Not normal to have this problem with tires your size, normally larger, but things happen.

gene

Back in the 80's, the tire shop I went to used to shave the tires of my VW Squareback. Sure made the ride better.

George have you ever heard of "shaving" tires?
With some larger tires at times it necessary to have them shaved to get the tire back round and balanced.
This is normally caused by a tire manufactured in a casing that has been used many times and is warped.
Not normal to have this problem with tires your size, normally larger, but things happen.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I honestly don't know if shops still have the capability to do shaving anymore.
The last few tires I did were in my shop on my own tire balancer with a hot rubber knife, all items I bought from a closed tire shop years ago.

Jonathan

I honestly don't know if shops still have the capability to do shaving anymore.
The last few tires I did were in my shop on my own tire balancer with a hot rubber knife, all items I bought from a closed tire shop years ago.
I have a 03 Tacoma 4x4, it has a bad vibration around 60-70 MPH. I have replaced the center carrier bearing, both front cv axles shafts, both sides upper and lower ball joints and I cannot figure out what is causing the vibration. The tires are only about 6 months old and have been checked and re-balanced.
Anyone have any idea's.
George
I have 02 prerunner stock height 160K with same problem. 5 steps to solve problem. 1) Center support bearing replaced and dealership put bearing upside down, made vibration worse. Driveline place rebuilt and balanced and replaced u joints both ends and lubed caragen bearing and slip joint. They put support bearing in right side up and 90% better. 2) replaced 4 tires and balanced and 4 wheel alignment. 3) Replaced both rear brake drums and got better. 4) replaced rear shocks with bilistein 4600s. 5) replaced acorn lug nuts that were striped and torqued wheel lugs to 83 ft #s. Had bad axle wrap which was solved by torqued axle u bolts to 85# spec.
Yes the support bearing can be put upside down which changes the drive line angles and caused the pinion angle to be wrong and cause elliptical oscillations of differential causing wheel hop of rear axle. The ears on support bearing are offset from centerline of bearing. and can be installed upside down. Dealership is giving refund for putting drive shaft upside down.

Related Content You Might Like: