• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

2001 Sequoia power steering pump problems

hello. First post btw
I have a 2001 Sequoia that has 204,000 miles on it. I recently blew the power steering pump. The mechanic replaced it and the pump must have been faulty bc it only work while Had my foot on the gas.
So he replaced it again. 50 miles later the pump doesn’t work and my steering is stiff again.
The machanic is complaining that I have something else wrong with my engine. There were 15-20 drops of oil under my SUV wherever I park, but the reservoir isn’t really that low.
I am just thinking he is using crappy rebuilt parts?
Is it possible that a motor blows the pump out?
Or is it on him, his parts and his mechanics?

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Welcome to the forum. He is the mechanic - and supplying the parts, so I say it's on him. He should be able to trouble shoot the problem. If not, might be time to take it to another shop.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Welcome to the forum. He is the mechanic - and supplying the parts, so I say it's on him. He should be able to trouble shoot the problem. If not, might be time to take it to another shop.
Any other steering problems?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Any other steering problems?
Here's a diagram of the system. It's been my experience that with cheap aftermarket parts it is possible to get a couple of bad units in a row. But, especially for electrical parts (and yes, I know this is a hydraulic part) there can be an underlying problem such as a short or a pinched hydraulic line.

What exactly was replaced? Just the pump? Any lines or fittings? Etc.?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
When you say "blew the power steering pump" what exactly happened during its failure?
As was pointed out were any lines replaced? Was the system flushed? Could the problem have been or included another part like the rack?
Keep in mind the system will build up high pressures which cause excessive heat and if their are any debris blockages in lines or parts. This high heat issue may show up after afew miles of driving.

Related Content You Might Like: